Chapter 8: The One Bad Day

The week went very quickly ever since Weiss started to get along with Ruby, and Ruby began to become more confident as a leader. While Arlo was ecstatic to help his teammates, whether it was with schoolwork or just needed to chat, however he was suddenly very different.

The rest of RWBY quickly realized something was bothering Arlo, and had gathered in their room to talk about the day.

Ruby: "Girls, this is serious. I've never seen Arlo like this. He's being very cold and distant. And he won't even talk to me... well I know he doesn't actually talk, but you know what I mean."

Yang: "I know what you mean, Blake and I saw Arlo leave early this morning, and I mean earlier than usual."

Blake: "And professor Port wasn't teaching today, so we know that wasn't why he left."

Weiss: "I wonder... do you think it has something to do with that black binder you told me about?"

Ruby bit her bottom lip as she glanced towards Arlo's empty bed, knowing the binder about the Serpents was tucked away somewhere among his stuff.

Yang: "You haven't talked to him yet, have you?"

Ruby shook her head, still looking at Arlo's corner of the room.

Ruby: "I... don't know how to ask him about it. I mean you've seen it. He's obsessed, and I'm scared it will break his trust in all of us... and in me."

The other girls exchanged glances before gasping when they heard the doorknob rattle, before the door slowly cracked open. Ruby ran to the door and opened it, and in her excitement she embraced the person on the other side of the door, squeezing tight while closing her eyes.

Ruby: "Arlo! Where were you? I'm sorry, I need to tell you something. I-"

Coco: "Hun, mind letting go of the bunny?"

Ruby: "Huh?!"

Coco had dipped her sunglasses down to look over the rim with an amused smirk, while Velvet was blushing red as Ruby held her tightly.

Velvet: "Uh... hi Ruby."

Ruby: "Coco? Velvet?! Sorry, I thought you were-"

Coco: "We know. He's the reason why we came to talk to you."

Ruby had invited the girls into the room, and RWBY each sat on their beds while Coco and Velvet stood in the middle. Coco leaned up against the wall by the window as she took off her sunglasses, tucking them into a pocket.

Coco: "I suppose neither one of you knows where Arlo is right now."

The girls just shook their heads in reply. Coco and Velvet exchanged a quick glance before Velvet spoke up.

Velvet: "I was hoping he would have told you, but this isn't a surprise. Arlo did the same thing last year on this exact night."

Weiss: "He did? But why? What reason could he have to just vanish from his team without a word?"

The four girls were surprised when they saw Coco's playful and cheerfulness change to a heartbroken and depressed look, as she bowed her head down to look at the ground. Even Velvet's ears sagged as she hugged her arms.

Velvet: "Tomorrow is Arlo's birthday..."

RWBY: "What?"