Chapter 6: The Badge and the Burden

Arlo bolted upwards in the early morning, trying to stay quiet so he didn't wake up his new roommates. Since there was only four beds for the room, Arlo volunteered to use a sleeping bag until a fifth bed could be provided. Alastair stirred a little in his puppy form, lazily rolling over to fall back asleep. Arlo checked to make sure nobody was awake, before pulling out his black binder and flipped it open.

Just seeing the name Serpents filled Arlo with hatred as he glared at the names that were scattered across multiple papers. Last night, he was given a crucial piece of information. A picture of the new Viper. He was a skinny looking guy, his face looking thin enough to make his cheek bones stand out prominently. He bore a scar that stretched across his nose, going below his eyes. His eyes in question gave him a maniac type look, as he held the prisoner number upside down while giving a wide toothy grin. Because of the shirt he was wearing, Arlo could partially see the tattoo of the Serpents on his arm.

Last night, after the welcome ceremony...

Arlo and team RWBY were walking together off the stage, the four girls chattering about the upcoming school year.

Coco: "Long time no see Arlo."

The girls paused when they saw a Coco walking up with Velvet, Yatsuhashi, and Faux. Arlo grinned and ran up to them, while Ruby looked suddenly crestfallen when she saw Coco and Velvet hug Arlo, and then Fox and Yatsuhashi exchanging pleasantries. Arlo turned to look at the girls, eagerly waving for them to come over. Blake and Weiss shrugged and went over, and Yang was about to when she noticed Ruby seemed troubled about something.

Yang: "Hey Ruby, what's wrong?"

Ruby: "N-Nothing."

Yang gave a worried look, but Ruby pushed by her as the four went to meet the older team.

Coco: "Team RWBY, welcome to Beacon. My name is Coco, leader of team CFVY. This is Velvet, the big guy is Yatsuhashi or Yatsu for short, and this here is Fox."

Velvet: "We got to watch your initiation from our scrolls. That was amazing watching you take down that Nevermore!"

Ruby blushed and giggled in embarrassment, trying to brush off the compliment.

Ruby: "I-I wouldn't have been able to do that without Weiss, Blake and Yang."

Yatsuhashi: "No need to be embarrassed. The four of you showed how well you work together. Be proud of your accomplishment."

Arlo and Fox glanced to each other for a few moments, before Fox suddenly started to chuckle. The girls of RWBY exchanged a confused look, prompting Velvet to speak up.

Velvet: "Oh, sorry. Fox is telepathic, and doesn't like speaking to new people. But he and Arlo will continuously chat through telepathy all the time. You kinda get used to it after a while."

Fox playfully elbowed Arlo's shoulder, and Arlo bashfully looked to the side. Coco perked up a bit while RWBY could only look in confusion. Coco smirked and playfully nudged Arlo's other arm.

Ruby: "What is it?"

Coco: "Oh, you'll find out soon. Anyways, we have to get going. Hope to see you again team RWBY. Take care Arlo."