Chapter 14: Black and White

Arlo groggily opened his eye, his brain slowly waking up as he realized there was a weight on his arm. He glanced over to see Orellia leaning her head on his shoulder, still fast asleep. The two had gone back to Port's home after what had happened yesterday. He had given her his bed for the night, while he would use his sleep roll. Though it seems she either fell off the bed or got up in the night to sleep beside him.

Arlo carefully slid his arm free, then got up to get changed. As he grabbed his clothes, his scroll slipped out of the pocket and landed on the floor. Arlo huffed in annoyance and went to grab it, when he realized the light was rapidly blinking, indicating he had a voicemail. He picked up his scroll and went into the bathroom to start changing, clicking the voice message.

Ruby: "Arlo! It's horrible! Blake's gone! She ran away last night and hasn't come back! She hasn't been answering any of our messages. We're going to search for her today. Please message me when you get this."

Arlo furrowed his brow in worry, wondering what could have happened after the girls called him. Once finished changing, he grabbed his scroll and sent a message to Blake.

Arlo: Blake. What happened last night? The girls are worried about you. Please answer one of us.

He stood there looking at his scroll, but no response came. He was beginning to wonder if she opened the message at all. His scroll suddenly vibrated from a message. For a moment he was surprised, but sighed when it wasn't Blake, but Yang.

Yang: Arlo, did you get Ruby's message?

Arlo: I did. Give me a few to explain to Orellia, then I'll start looking too.

Arlo opened the door while looking at his scroll, and bumped into Orellia, accidentally knocking her on her butt. Arlo quickly helped her back to her feet, and she smiled and waved it off.

Orellia: "I'm ok bro. What's going on? I got this weird message on my scroll from Blake."

Arlo: "Blake? She texted you?"

Orellia: "Mhm."

Orellia held up her scroll for Arlo to see. Sure enough, Blake did message Orellia at 1 am.

Blake: Orellia, you'll learn something about me. Something bad. I hope you won't hate me for my sins, and if you do I'll understand.

Orellia: "What could have happened yesterday? Why would she think that I'd hate her?"

Arlo didn't answer for a moment, trying to think of a reason that would cause Blake to run away from the team. Arlo stepped out of the bedroom for Orellia to change, his brow furrowing as he went over his memories of yesterday.

Weiss had been fuming over the possibility of White Fang activity in Vale, and she did use some offensive words that upset Orellia. Arlo's eye widened as a realization came to him. Blake was equally, if not more, offended by Weiss' words.

Arlo: 'Blake... have you been a Faunus and never told any of us?'

Meanwhile...

Blake sat with her back to a wall atop a roof in downtown Vale, staring at her scroll with a pained expression. Her scroll had multiple notifications about missed calls from both Ruby and Yang, a message from Arlo, but nothing from Weiss and Orellia. Deep down, Blake had been hoping to hear from Orellia more than anyone.

She let out a heavy sigh as she bumped her head against the wall, before glancing to the side when she heard scuffling sounds to her right. Sun Wukon's head popped into view from over the edge, a cocky grin on his face.