Chapter 7: Building Bonds

Weiss had just reentered the classroom after changing into her combat clothes, the class quieting down in anticipation as she walked into the ring Arlo and Port had set up at the front of the class. Arlo and Port stood on either side of a large cage that contained a Boarbatusk that Port had recently captured. Weiss raised her weapon as she took her combat stance, keeping her focus on the cage. Arlo flashed a quick thumbs up to her, as the rest of RWBY shouted their support.

Yang: "Goooo, Weiss!"

Blake: "Fight well!"

Ruby: "Yeah, represent Teeeeam RWBY!"

Weiss gave an irritated scowl towards Ruby.

Weiss: "Ruby! I'm trying to focus!"

Ruby: "Oh, um... Sorry..."

Port and Arlo looked to each other and nodded, as the professor raised up his weapon.

Port: "Allllright! Let the match... begin!"

Port swung his axe down and broke the lock, releasing the Grimm which instantly charged towards Weiss. Weiss furrowed her brow as she deflected its attack while rolling to the side, quickly resuming her stance as she braced herself for the next attack.

Port: "Ha-ha! Wasn't expecting that, were you?"

Ruby: "Hang in there, Weiss!"

Weiss speeds towards the Grimm, stabbing at the skull. But the blade glanced off the skull when she attacked it, causing her sword to get twisted and locked behind the Boarbatusk's tusks. Weiss kept her grip on the sword and grunted in frustration as she struggled to pull her sword free while the Grimm tried to shake her off.

Port: "Bold, new approach. I like it!"

Ruby: "Come on, Weiss, show it who's boss!"

Weiss shot Ruby a glare, but her distraction let the Grimm rip the sword from her grasp and throw it across the arena.

Port: "Oh-ho! Now what will you do without your weapon?"

Arlo remained by Port's side, holding his hands behind his back as they anxiously twitched, wanting to jump in if this was too much for her. Weiss looked from her sword to the Boarbatusk, her face showing how worried and irritated she was feeling.

The Grimm charged at her again, which Weiss was able to barely dodge its attack. The Grimm's attack carried it into a desk, knocking it over onto its side slightly stunned.

Ruby: "Weiss! Go for its belly! There's no armor underneath-"

Weiss: "Stop telling me what to do!"

She snapped shooting a nasty glare towards Ruby. Ruby winced and looked down upset. Yang and Blake exchanged worried glances, while Arlo was surprised by the sudden outburst.

Weiss quickly sprinted for her weapon and grabbed it just as the Boar spun up and charged one last time. Weiss created a glyph under it, knocking it upside down and exposing its belly. Weiss jumped up to another glyph she made mid-air and used it to propel herself forward, stabbing into the belly of the beast. The Grimm squealed in pain before falling still and started disintegrating. Weiss bent down and gasped in relief as she tried to catch her breath.

Port: "Bravo! Bra-vo! It appears we are indeed in the presence of a true Huntress-in-training! I'm afraid that's all the time we have for today. Be sure to cover the assigned readings, and... stay vigilant! Class dismissed!"

Arlo walked over to Weiss as she crouched down, breathing heavily as she attempted to catch her breath. Arlo gave a little smile as he offered his hand, but Weiss brushed it aside and quickly left the classroom, giving a glare towards Ruby. The members of JNPR walked up to the girls as Arlo scratched his head in confusion.