Chapter 20

Chapter Twenty

"Some place new," I sang my veins thrumming with excitement as I grabbed the Doctor's hand and spun us around. "Let’s go to the future."

When the Doctor and I took off again we weren’t sure where we would go, probably where ever the TARDIS thought we needed to go. However we knew what we weren’t expecting and that’s what we got.

Grinding out a noise that meant she had landed the TARDIS came to a stop. Quickly I got up off the couch and beckoned the Doctor over towards the door.

Flinging the exit open a gasp forced its way out of my throat before I said, “Doctor, hurry over here!”

The time lord appeared by my side and I heard the breath whoosh out of lungs as he took in the sight before us. A planet that could’ve been Earth or somewhere else entirely floated before the TARDIS. The inability to identify which planet it was stemmed from its current appearance as a charcoal grey material that seemed to be folding in on itself repeatedly. All around it millions of stars were winking out of existence as red streaks marred the sky.

With a trembling voice I called, “Doctor, what’s going, on where are we?”

“According to the TARDIS we’re in front of the Earth in the year 3090,” The Doctor replied sounding unsure which was a first.

“What happened to it?” I asked still starring wide eyed, “We’ve been farther before and the Earth was always fine then.”

The only thing about the past that has been changed is Ianto’s death and there is no way his survival caused this not when his death also caused a disturbance.”

“Well then we need to find out what’s going on! Do you think the TARDIS would know?”

Running his fingers through his hair the doctor mused, “I don’t know anything’s a possibility.”

I nodded in understanding before saying, “Then I’m going to try to talk to her.”

Seating myself on the ground I reached out my mind towards the TARDIS. At first I felt nothing but after a few moments of probing for her consciousness I felt a very weak version.

“Are you alright?” I asked consumed with worry for the being that I shared such a unique bond with.

“Fine,” She responded sounding slightly more awake, “Just weak, timeline is wrong, he should be here.”

I frowned and asked, “Who?” only to be met with a stony silence. Opening my eyes as the connection was severed, I saw the Doctor standing in front of me with an outstretched hand which I gladly hoisted myself up with.

“Did she tell you anything?” The Doctor asked looking rather impatient. I understood why though, had I been the one waiting to know I would be even more anxious to know.

Furrowing my brow I replied, “no all she said was that the timeline was off and he should be here, but she wouldn’t tell me who he –“

I was cut off by the Doctor running away towards his bedroom. Before I could even move to follow him, the Doctor was back with a thick leather bound notebook. He rifled through its pages before finding what he’d been looking for.

“Ahh” He exclaimed, “Here it is, remember how we didn’t go into the future because both Ianto and the TARDIS had a bad feeling?”

“Yeah, do you think they sensed this somehow, I suppose it would make senses the TARDIS is time sensitive.”

“Now what to do about the-“ The Doctor began only to be interrupted by a voice that wasn’t quite me.”

“I shall take us back to him Doctor, and then I will fix everything.” The TARDIS stated using my throat to speak.

The Doctor seemed to realize who he was speaking to because he quickly switched gears, “Take us to who, who is he?”

“Ianto Jones you fixed part of the timeline, the part that was your to fix. Now I will go and fix my part of it.” As the TARDIS said this she lifted my arm and sent the little blue box back through time and space until we landed on the yard of a little villa.

Ianto and Jack had been out on their porch having a bottle of wine and upon spotting us the former yelled, “Come and join us.”

The TARDIS began to move us towards him at a slow and steady pace as the Doctor raced ahead shouting about bad timelines and the TARDIS fixing it all.

When the TARDIS and I caught up to him on the porch I went straight to Ianto who opened his arms wide for a hug.

“Wait, be careful that isn’t Rose.” The Doctor called but it was too late the TARDIS had already put my fingers to Ianto’s forehead resulting in a bright golden explosion and all of us falling down.