♂ the boy who asked

CHAPTER THIRTY
_____________________

"𝐲/𝐧, 𝐰𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐝𝐨 𝐦𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐠𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐡𝐨𝐧𝐨𝐫 𝐨𝐟 𝐚𝐜𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐩𝐚𝐧𝐲𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐦𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐲𝐮𝐥𝐞 𝐛𝐚𝐥𝐥?"_____________________

_____________________

"And how are you supposed to get one on their own to ask them?" Rants Ron as the two of us scour the courtyard in desperate attempts to scope out a potential date to accompany him to the Yule Ball.

Us two merely walk in the near vicinity of a cluster of Ravenclaw girls and they immediately put a pause in their conversation. They glare at us in an extremely demeaning manner. I don't blame him, how could anyone gather the courage to ask out such harsh, unapproachable creatures?

I flash a nervous, painfully awkward smile, unsure of what else to do. The two of us stand, seemingly frozen, before I finally gain the strength to grab Ron by the sleeve of his coat and retreat the mission.

The group of girls laugh tauntingly and Ron and I quicken our pace so that the distance makes the laughter fade away.

"You see?" Ron whines, proving his point. "Blimey, Harry. You slay dragons. If you can't get a date, who can?"

"Hey!" I exclaim while I elbow him in the gut. "It's not that I can't get a date, I just have yet to get a date," Ron does nothing but stare at me so I elbow him again. "There's a difference."

I pause and shudder at the thought of stuttering over my words and the potential inability to get the damn phrase out and even ask y/n. The risk of humiliation, the potential rejection.

"Though you know I think I'd take the dragon right now."

-

Ron continues to complain about his girl troubles, or rather lack their of, for the remainder of the day. I finally get a slight break when we get to study hall. Since Snape is supervising, its near impossible to hold a conversation without getting a slap to the back of the neck.

So now, Ron, Hermione, y/n, and I sit in the Great Hall, side by side at the long tables while only about 50% of us seem to actually be doing the work.

And it isn't Ron and I.

"This is mad," Ron says, appalled. "At this rate, we'll be the only ones in our year without dates."

y/n scoffs. "Are you still on this?"

I nod. "Has been all day."

"For Godric's sake, Ron. Just go out there and ask someone."

Ron glares back at the girl. "It isn't that easy, not like you'd know. All you've got to do is wait to be asked."