- Chapter 15 -

With the bag of money in hand, Sykkuno was on his way towards Leeside, a small town stationed near Offpire. Toast had instructed him that he owed a debt to a merchant named Hafu, yet Sykkuno doesn't know what she looks like, so he'll have to greet every merchant he sees.

On the pathway, Sykkuno had time to ponder. Tomorrow he would be given a tour of the castle, the actual castle. He'd only gotten a brief look of the whole exterior on his way to the west wing for the herbalist course. But now, he can learn about the castle inside and out.

But of course, he's here as an alibi for Ludwig, for blackmail.

Sykkuno had considering questioning Ludwig about the whole 'blackmail' plan. It would be their word against the kings. It's only natural for people would believe the person with the most power. If they would exploit what The Anchors were doing involving the raids to the public, they'll be brushed off as liars. Even with evidence, the royal family can claim they forged it.

The plan was flawed, that was for sure. But Sykkuno didn't know any alternatives. He would usually just make it up as he goes.

The boy brainstormed other ideas on his mindless walk to Leeside.

He didn't notice when he had made it to the small town as he was caught up with his thoughts. But when he did, he took a look around. The ground was rather muddy, direction signs had been graffitied, and it was... quiet. Sykkuno wasn't surprised since only a few people were walking along the street. Leeside isn't as busy as Offpire, but Sykkuno likes that. "I'll consider it a break from all the noise."

Now, where oh where would a merchant be? Usually, they're easy to find in market places, so that's where Sykkuno will head. For direction, he looked at the arrow-shaped signs. Though it was different to read the words written as it was dirty. Finally, Sykkuno learned where it was and headed left.

Booths were up, but most of them unused and abandoned. But that was "most" of them, "I'll have to check the more active booths first," Sykkuno thinks. He went around each booth, asking the stall workers for their names. Many of the workers were whispering about the boy wandering around looking for the merchant known as Hafu.

"He seems quite young..."

"Him? Yeah, I saw him around too. He asked me if I knew where to find Hafu. I wonder why he needs to see her."

"That boy is wearing poorly made clothes, except for that one scarf. In any case, someone like that shouldn't have any contact with someone so successful like Hafu."

Sykkuno was just about ready to call it quits."Where could she be?" 

He dropped by the local tavern, which was quite similar to Offpire's by architecture.

He noticed a figure sitting down, reading. It reminded him of the time he and Rae had met Toast, reading a book on criminology. The person seemed to sense his presence staring, so they turned around, meeting eye-to-eye with Sykkuno. They wore a purplish hood, with charms clipped onto the fabric, hanging down. "Could they be?"

"Yes?" they said. "What is it that you want?"

"Oh uh! Sorry, but..." he wasn't expecting them to be so direct. "Do you know where I can find Hafu? The merchant?" he asks.

"What business do you have with me?"

"W-what?"

"I'm Hafu."

"Oh."

It was awkward, expressly since they were the only ones in the tavern. It seems as though the bartender was also idle.

"I'm sorry, please forgive my rudeness!" Sykkuno bows slightly while giving his apology. Hafu cringed but forgave him anyway, gesturing for him to sit with her. The boy sat down with a plop and rummaged through his bag.

"I'm Sykkuno from Offpire, It's nice to met you." he greets. "The feeling is mutual," Hafu responds.

"Here." Sykkuno grabs the bag filled with coins and places it on the table.

"What is this for?" Hafu asks. "Well, my friend Toast sent me."

Hafu lifted an eyebrow. "Toast? Ah yes, his nickname."

"Right, he told me he owed a debt to you, so he sent me off to find you," Sykkuno voiced.

"How do you know him?"

"I stayed at the Hawthorn Inn for a bit, so I met him there," he responds, "What about you? If you don't mind me asking."

"Pardon?"

"Well, uh. Toast owes a debt to you, right? What for?"

"I have the need to say it's none of your business, but then again, I suppose it doesn't make a great deal." Her voice was cold. Sykkuno found the atmosphere nothing but tense. However, perhaps like Toast, she would warm up to more known people. 

"We knew each other when we were young. The two of us were like rivals, you see." Sykkuno nodded while she continued.

"We both wanted to become detectives, so we enrolled in a class where only a handful of students would be picked out to be given proper training. Those students would be granted access to become members in the unit of investigation."

"I was chosen. Toast wasn't."

"At that point, Toast didn't have any source of income. So, I assisted him in getting a job at the Hawthorn Inn."

"If he wasn't there today, I'm sure he would be living somewhere on the streets."

"The act of myself getting him a job must be why he is indebted to me."

"It sounds like the two of you go way back, huh?" Sykkuno tilts his head, smiling. "You could say that." she sighs.

"You said you were chosen to become part of this investigation unit, correct?"

"Indeed."

"If so, why are you a merchant?" he asks. "Is it a side job?"

"No, it's my only job."

"Why?"

"Unfortunately, our group was replaced with another because of our 'lack of progress.' " she replied. "Basically, most cases we were investigating were uncompleted. Our group wasn't considered good enough to be apart of the unit."

"I'm sorry to hear that."

"Don't be. My peers lacked the skills. So it makes perfect sense to me."

"Right..." Sykkuno mumbled.

Hafu took the bag of money just about to leave. "It was a pleasure meeting you Sykkuno, please give Toast my regards."

"I will. It was nice meeting you."

Hafu nodded and turned around to leave. That was when Sykkuno finally noticed one of the many charms hanging from her clothing. It was overlapped with multiple other ones before. It was when she was walking when it was uncovered and displayed.

Would you like to take a guess what the charm was?

"An anchor, of course."

◈◈◈

Hello everyone! Hope you're doing well! I'm currently working on the next chapterrrrrrrrrrrrr

Ok question time, *ahem*

What's your favourite ship trope? I personally love the ''two idiots, one braincell.'' 

Have a good moring, afternoon or night!

-fai