- Chapter 8 -

A//N Need to let you guys know, this chapters pacing was a lot faster than usual, expect mistakes and also some kinda bad written stoofs

''What's the deal with all the anchors?''

''Anchors?'' Corpse says. ''Yeah, I've been seeing these little icons around almost everywhere!''

''Supposing everyone who lives in Offpire knows about them, I might as well tell you.''

Sykkuno pulls out of the hug with Corpse and puts his hands on his lap.

''The anchor symbolizes hope. It's worn by those who have connections or work in the palace.''

''So is the king is part of these anchors?'' Sykkuno asks. ''Yeah.'' Corpse responds. ''What about Ludwig?''

''Um, who?''

''My friend! He told me he has connections with the palace.''

''Well then, yes. Ludwig is apart of The Anchors.'' Sykkuno smiles and waits for Corpse to continue. Corpse wonders if he should go any further. Should he really tell Sykkuno the full truth?

''A small minority decides to join only to become spies, or in some way become closer to the castle. To rebel against it,''

''Why would...''

''I'm getting to that part.'' Corpse interrupts.

''Many people within The Anchors are just bratty princes and princesses. They believe they are the most powerful and prepared for everything. So they go-around, starting wars and stealing from other countries for their own personal greed.''

Sykkuno stares wide-eyed. Could this place he deemed a peaceful and calming place not actually be what he thought Offpire was?

''These countries can't fight back. The palace has all their valuables and rations.''

''So it's an unfair fight,'' Sykkuno says. ''Exactly, those countries have nothing to fight back with after they've been raided.'' Corpse responds. ''I would think Offpire would receive everything they need through trading. Not through raiding.'' Sykkuno states. 

''There is a rumour going around it, though.''

''A rumour?'' Sykkuno asks. ''Well, uh...'' The man hesitates. ''It's possible there could be some sort of a deeper meaning behind all the raids.''

''What other meaning could it be?'' Sykkuno questions. ''Why would The Anchors do this?''

''It has mostly to do with the King. He carries out the orders.''

''Apparently, the King's brothers, sisters, his father, mother and grandparent despise him. I assume he believes gaining more and more would perhaps impress them.''

"So basically, he's been invalidated by his own family?" inquired Sykkuno. "That sucks."

 ''Those are just rumours.'' Corpse replies. ''Don't go spreading it around." 

''I-uh. Sure! I won't say a thing.''

''Good.''

◈◈◈

After Corpse had left the cottage, Sykkuno was left to ponder. ''Was all of this really true? I mean, I can trust Corpse.''

Sykkuno wasn't expecting an answer like that once he asked about the anchors. After Corpse had informed him about them, he hastily and awkwardly left. It must have been an uncomfortable subject for him.