- Chapter 36 -

"Sykkuno!" Hafu yelped and ran up to him. "Don't you live in Offpire?"

"Well, not anymore..." Sykkuno mumbles. "But it's really great to see you."

Hafu looked at Corpse and raised an eyebrow. "Who are you?"

"I'm Corpse," he answered blandly.

"What are you doing here?" Sykkuno asked.

"I just decided to take some time for myself and just chill, honestly." Hafu chuckled. "Things were getting a little too stressful."

"Are you the only one here?" Corpse wondered. 

"Yes, this entire village is abandoned."

"Well, we're a little lost right now, so can you help us get back?" Sykkuno asked

"Well,"

"Well?"

"I would help you if I could. But I left without the intention of returning. I didn't bring a map or compass with me."

Corpse sighed in disappointment. "Of course, it wouldn't be that easy..."

"Could we stay with you a bit then? If you don't mind?"

"Sure, I'd use some company."

She leads them inside the house, where it was surprisingly clean. Her bags leaned against the wall. It seemed she also boarded up some of the windows.

"I'm running a little low on food. You guys got any?" she inquired.

Corpse hesitated for a moment, "Yeah, have a snack if you want."

Hafu nodded, "I'll eat some later," she jumped onto the ripped-up couch. "You can explore if you want. I'm gonna take a nap."

Corpse dragged Sykkuno by the arm out of the house. "Corpse!" Sykkuno yelped. "This is good, isn't it?"

"She can't help us."

"Yeah but, at least we aren't completely alone."

Corpse looked around at the other houses, and one caught his eye. "Come on, I wanna see something," he says, grabbing Sykkuno's hand.

"Oh- ok?" Sykkuno follows him up to a dwelling that looked different than the rest. It's more spacious, and the shape of the roof is unusual.

Corpse walked up to the door and tried to turn the handle. It wouldn't budge. "Is there another way in?" Sykkuno wondered. "Hopefully,"

They circled around the house to the back and noticed a back door. This time, it was open.

"Why are we looking at this place again?" Sykkuno asked while walking inside. Corpse shrugged, "Hafu did tell us we could explore."

The house was much dirtier than the one Hafu was in. Even inside, vines and moss spread. Corpse opened the doors to the rooms and found nothing of use. "What are you looking for?"

"I was trying to look for something like a map."

"Found anything?"

Corpse shook his head and sighed. "Nope, nothing."

Sykkuno looked down at the floor and failed to hold back a sniffle. Soon enough, he felt a single tear roll down his cheek. "I told myself I wouldn't cry in front of you." he giggled wistfully.

Corpse looked dejectedly at the other before embracing him. They both slowly fell to their knees while clutching each other. "Don't worry," Corpse reassured. "You can cry. I'll be here for you." Corpse didn't realize it as his shoulder began to dampen, but he was crying too.