Chapter 10

I awoke the next morning to warmth and a blanket wrapped around me. I was tired and comfortable and really wanted to stay in bed. Last nights events then came rushing back making my tiredness no longer existent. I sat up lightning fast and looked around the room. I was still in Cole's bed, but he wasn't anywhere in sight. On his nightstand sat a folded piece of paper. 

The paper was a note from Cole. 

I have an important mission and might not be back for a while. Your training will be taken over by one of my teammates. He's a great guy and I trust him. He'll meet you in the shooting range after breakfast. Did you know that you talk in your sleep? It's cute. 

I groaned at the note.  Not because Cole was away but because he knew that I talked in my sleep. Wait! I was in Cole's bed! Did I sleep with him last night without knowing? I was an idiot. I shared one kiss with him and I was already sleeping in his bed! What the heck was wrong with me?!

I tossed the blankets off and jumped out of the bed, wanting to put some distance between myself and his bed. I changed my clothes and went to get some breakfast. 

I didn't know any of Cole's teammates even though I am technically part of his team now. He didn't tell me much when I switched over to his team. All I knew was that I was weak and needed to train before I could ever leave the base. I'm surprised that cabin fever and claustrophobia haven't settled in yet. 

I finished my breakfast and went down to the shooting range. A man was already there loading a pistol. 

"You must be Ember," he said when I approached. 

"That's me, but how did you know?" I've never seen this guy before and I had no idea how he knew me. 

"Simple," he began, putting the safety on the pistol and placing it down before turning to face me, "Cole told me about you, so I knew who to look out for." 

"Cole's away on a mission, so why aren't you with him?" I crossed my arms and looked at him quizzically. Cole wouldn't be stupid enough to go on a mission alone. 

"He's on a mission that only allows him a certain amount of people on his team. Besides, he believed that I was best suited to train you. I'm Michael by the way."

I put on a pair of noise canceling headphones, picked up the pistol, made sure to take the safety off, and began firing at the target. I fired one after the other until the gun was empty. 

Michael brought the target forward and whistled. "Impressive. I can see why Cole wanted you on his team. You learn fast." 

I had hit the target dead on in all vital places if it was an actual person. I grinned at my own handiwork. I wasn't half bad at this. 

"I think you're good with gun training, so it's on the final part of your training. That way you can join us on missions."

The final part of my training was learning to control my ability and how to use it. "Who will I be practicing with?"

Michael put the safety back on the pistol and put it away. "You'll be doing that with me."

I looked at him with utter shock. "Are you sure that's such a great idea? I mean, you know what color I am and capable of."

Michael crossed his arms. "Yes, I know what color you are. No, I don't know what you're capable of and that's what I am going to find out. Besides, I'm the least threatening person you're going to face. Now follow me."

I doubted that he was the least threatening, but I followed him any way. If Cole trusted him, then I had to trust him. He was part of our team. One thing I remembered from school was if team members didn't get along, then the team was bound to fall apart. 

Michael led me to a training room that was similar to the ones where Cole took me in the beginning. Instead weights and punching bags, the entire room was lined with pads that assumed were lined with rubber, except for the few windows. There was also different sizes of foam blocks and other heavier objects. This must be where all the PSI kids came to train. 

"Here we are," Michael said gesturing to the room. 

"I have no idea where to begin. I used my ability twice and that was on instinct," I said honestly.

Michael turned to me. "That's perfectly fine. We found that most of the kids here learned their ability through instinct at first. Once they found what drives them they learned to harness their ability and use it to their advantage. What I do know about your ability is that it's physical. You need to be in contact with the person in order to make it work." 

"So how do you want to do this?"

Michael took off his sweater and dropped it onto the ground. "I only hope that you don't see anything embarrassing."

I looked at him, shocked, my mouth hanging open slightly. "You can't be serious about this. I don't know what I'm capable of and frankly I don't think this place knows either."

"All we know is that Orange is for mind control. We have no idea of your limits or if there is anything else you can do. That is another reason for this training. Now, don't do anything that is going to cause serious injury or permanent harm."

I took a deep breath and approached him. Unlike most people, he didn't flinch away which made me feel better. I placed my hand on his arm and let my power flow through me. Flashes of memory appeared in my head. It was his memories. There were memories of him as a young boy, him growing up, his wife and children. He had lost his children to IAAN. 

I pulled away quickly, not wanting to see anything else. 

"Are you okay?" He asked, his voice gentle. He didn't move from his spot and for that I was grateful. 

"I'm so sorry," I whispered. "About your children. You must hate the kids that have survived."

"What?" Michael said, surprised. "You saw my kids die."

I nodded my gently. It was so terrible and sad. I have no idea how anyone could make it through. My parents must have gone through this when my sister died. 

"I don't hate the kids that survived," Michael finally said. "I will admit that at times I asked myself why my kids had to die. Then I see how the government has been treating the PSI kids and my heart aches for them. You all should not be treated that way because you have survived. It is not your fault that you are different."

"Thank you," I mumbled. 

"Why don't we take a few days break, so you can get your bearings."

I nodded my head in silent agreement. 

I left the room and went down the halls until I made it back to my own room. I took advantage of the bathroom inside the room and took a shower. I didn't really want to run into Vida today. She looked like she was ready to kill me yesterday. 

I climbed into my bed and curled up into the fetal position. It was a strange feeling when I saw Michael's memories. It all happened so fast that it was hard to pull things apart. It was similar to what happened when I touched my parents. I had no idea how I was going to make it through this training. Even if I didn't know the how, I had to make it through no matter what. I was going to see my family again and I was going to change the government. I first had to make it through my training.