Chapter 13

I spent the rest of the day in the common room because dealing with Cole's moodiness is the last thing that I want to do. I stay in the common room until I'm the last one there and am told to leave. Perhaps I'll get really lucky and Cole will be fast asleep when I get back to the room.

I couldn't have been more wrong in my life.

He's sitting in a chair watching me as I enter the room.

"We should talk," he says, his voice serious and his face void of any emotion.

"Sure," I respond, sauntering over to my bed. "About what exactly?" I pretend to be confused, not entirely sure what he wants to talk about.

"That was quite the fight earlier, but you really shouldn't let Vida taunt you like that."

"Well, thanks for the advice. If that's it then—"

Cole gets to his feet and walks slowly towards me. "Anger will get you killed out there. Your moves can become predictable and it's a sure way too die."

He's so close now that I can seem to remember how to breathe. "Remember what you promised me," I manage to get out.

Cole leans forward and puts both of his hands on either side of me, pressing down on the mattress. "I never promised you anything," he whispers, his mouth awfully close to mine.

I want him to kiss me again. I want to feel his mouth against mine. I want to feel the rush of passion that I get when I'm with him. Why must I give in so easily?

Cole suddenly pulls away and goes to his bed, turning the light off on his way there. "I'll see you in the morning," he says, with what I assume his laughter in his voice.

I'm left sitting here not knowing what to do with myself. He really just played on my emotions and my young teenage brain. I want to kick him, but that would get me absolutely no where.

When I wake the next morning, Cole's bed is empty and I'm alone in the room. I look around the room, but there's no note like the last time.

I climb out of bed and change into a clean pair of clothes before making my way to the mess hall.

"Ember!" Cate calls me over when I enter the room.

I scan the room looking for Cole before I take a seat with Cate.

"He's not here," she says before I can ask. "He got called on an extremely important mission and will be gone for a few days."

"Oh." I try not to act too disappointed, but I don't think it works for Cate pats my hand in reassurance.

"Don't worry about him. He's strong and know what he's doing. In the mean time, I will oversee your training until he gets back."

I nod my head and she pushes over a bagel for me. I look down at it, not sure if I should eat it or not. "What about Michael?"

"He went with Cole." There is a little bit of disappointment in Cate's voice, but I don't look up to see her reaction.

Deep down something doesn't quite feel right and it's not the bagel sitting in front of me. There is just something that feels wrong although I can't place what it is.

*********

I spend the next week training with Cate and her team learning to hone my skills in all areas. I got better at hand in hand combat, shooting different guns, and even my own psychic abilities. I never believed that I could become this powerful and I love the way it feels. I can be in control of my own life and nobody will ever try to control me again.

I've also been using this week as a way of distracting my mind because Cole isn't back yet. Michael came back yesterday with the rest of the team, but Cole wasn't with them. Deep down I know that something is wrong and I wish I knew what it was.

"Cate?" I say, taking a break from the punching bag.

"Yes?"

"Why isn't Cole back with the others?" I ask.

"I'm not sure, but knowing Cole, he must have his reasons." She gives me a gentle smile and the look in her eyes tell me not to ask anything more.

There has to be a way to see the guy in the charge to see what he knows. Or yet, Michael will know what is up and he will tell me.

"I think I'm done for the day," I tell Cate. I don't wait for her response and quickly make my exit from the gym.

I manage to find Michael in the common room playing some pool. I take a deep breath and approach him carefully. "Hey, Michael," I say.

He looks up at me and pulls back his pool cue. "Hey, Ember. How are you?"

"I'm doing okay. I was just wondering why Cole isn't back with the rest of you?" I keep my smile gentle.

Michael's smile falters for just a second, but it quickly comes back. "Cole sent us ahead because he needed to handle something on his own. Don't worry too much, Ember. He will be back before you know it."

I'm really starting to get tired of people telling me the same thing over and over again. My gut is telling me that there is something wrong, but everybody seems to think things are fine.

*******

Two more weeks go by and I'm really starting to get frustrated. Cate left a few days ago and should be on her way back, but I'm not that worried about her. It's Cole I'm worried about the most. He still isn't back yet and nobody will give me a straight answer.

I can't help, but wander the halls in hopes of finding the man in charge.

"There you are, Ember," one of the league's agents says. "Alban wants to see you. Please come with me."

Alban must be the leader of the League, so I don't hesitate to follow the agent to the office.

"Thank you," Alban says when we enter his office. "You can leave us."

The agent that had escorted me left the room quickly leaving me with Alban and two more agents.

I take a seat across from him. "It's nice to meet you sir."

"I can say the same," he begins. "There is something very important we need to discuss."

I don't say anything and wait for him to continue.

He takes a deep breath and lets it out. "Cole has gone missing."