Chapter 3

I slowly opened my eyes and I was greeted with rolling plains and and lots of trees. I smiled at the beautiful sight and out of the corner of my eye I noticed that Ruby was admiring the same sight as me.

Cate pulled up to gas station where a truck was sitting as well as a man leaning up against the hood with gun at his side. Cate put the car into park and ran out and up to the man. He gave her a hug which she returned eagerly.

Ruby and I didn't know what to do, so we did the only logical thing and got out of the car. Ruby was still wearing the army uniform and I was still wearing the PSF uniform and holding the gun. Once we got out the man grabbed hold of his gun and pointed towards me.

"No!" Cate shouted. "It's just a disguise Rob, not to worry."

Rob lowered his gun, but never let go. I hung tightly to mine as well. I may have not known how to fire a gun, but if my life depended on it, I was sure I would be able to.

Rob didn't seem all that convinced, but Ruby a backpack and me one as well. "There's clean clothes in there. There's a bathroom inside and water, but don't drink it." He told us.

Ruby took her bag and backed up, but slipped. Rob caught her arm and I could see her eyes go orange. As soon as Rob pulled her to her feet and let go she went into the gas station quickly. I didn't move but stayed right where I was, watching Rob and Cate.

It was only about five minutes when the lights flickered in the gas station. I gripped my gun and threw my backpack over my shoulder, ready to go inside and check on Ruby. "Stay here, Ember," Cate told me in a firm voice.

I stopped dead in my tracks still holding the gun firmly. I wanted to help, but she wouldn't let me.

She's doing it for your own protection. She saved you from the camp.

I waited a couple minutes before Cate and Rob came running back towards me.

"Get in the truck!" Rob shouted.

I quickly climbed in with Cate close behind me. Rob started up the truck and quickly drove out of the gas station, following a cleaning van. I was ready with my gun, but before I knew it, everything went dark.

When I came to, I was lying on on Cate's shoulder. I sat up and put my hand to the side of my head where it stung really bad.

"What happened?" I asked. The last I could remember was a car chase and then being knocked out.

"Rob knocked you out and Ruby is gone," Cate explained. "We are on our way to a building where the rest of the Children's League is waiting."

"Sorry I hit you," Rob said without taking his eyes off the road. "I just didn't want you to do anything reckless." He reached his hand up to the side of my head and a rush of memories came flooding through. One in particular where he killed two kids. Now I could see why Ruby ran away. Although I think she was mostly afraid of Rob than Cate.

I flinched away from his touch and pressed myself closer to Cate.

"I understand," he said putting his hand back on the steering wheel.

The rest of the drive was left in silence.

Rob was supposed to help children, so why did he kill to innocent children. This man couldn't be trusted. If the Children's League wanted to help children from awful people like Rob, then I was all for it. I was going to get as many kids out of camps as possible and expose the truth of the camps and the camp controllers once and for all.