Chapter 6

I had just finished the breakfast Nathan made all of us and it was delicious. I had gotten changed into jeans and a white t-shirt, and I was sitting on the kitchen counter on my phone. I heard someone coming into the kitchen but I didn't bother to look up, I got a message off Charlie saying to meet him at the front of the school because we need to talk about another client." Hey Cadie." Nathan said taking a mug from the cabinet across from me," Hey." I said still not taking my eyes off my phone. I placed my phone on the counter and put my plate in the sink.

Nathan moves over to where I was sitting and saw my phone. He looked over to me, noticing I have my back to him, and looked at my phone. He scrolled through the messages of mine and Charlie's and he was devastated.

From Charlie,
Hey Cadie, meet me today after lunch. I need to tell you something.

From Cadie,
Sure Bartlett. Wait? Why can't you just tell me now.

From Charlie,
Because it's urgent.

From Cadie,
Then leave it urgent.

From Charlie,
😂god your impossible.

From Cadie,
😊I know.

His smile soon faded and turned into frown. He saw me turning around so he placed my phone back on the counter and put his mug to his lips," What are you doing?" I asked, taking the tea towel and drying my hands." Nothing." I nod slowly and put the tea towel back on the rack before going to take my phone until Nathan swooped it from my hand." What the hell!" I said trying to get my phone back," Are you gonna explain who this Charlie boy is." Nathan said putting down his coffee and clenching jaw." You snooped through my phone!"
"You didn't answer my question!"
"It's none of your business!"
"You know what he's after right, he's using you!"
"How?! We don't go out!"

"Yeah right. All these text messages about meeting him somewhere, about some urgent shit. And you agreed! So what the fuck is stopping you?!"
"Because he's your daughters fucking boyfriend!" I put my hand over my mouth, you idiot!" Shit." I whispered to myself. Nathan was stunned by what I just said, he clenched his jaw before going up stairs." Nathan." I said grabbing his arm but he shrugged me off. He stomped up stairs and headed to Susan's room, I was following him closely behind. He opened Susan's door and crossed his arms in front of his chest." Are you seeing Charlie Bartlett?" Nathan asked, revolted by the name. Susan was confused, she looked over to me( I was standing behind Nathan). I mouthed 'sorry' and looked down to the floor.

"Yes or no." Nathan said grinding his teeth," It's none of your business." Susan growled." Nathan I-" I began until Nathan cut me off," Shut up Cadie... Just tell me the truth."
"So What If I am?"
"Fine. I don't want you seeing him, ever again."
"That's not your decision."
"Yes it is!"
"Not if I don't live with you!" She stood up and barged last the both of us, I looked at Nathan before running after her." Susan! Wait!" I shouted running down the stairs." Can you take me to Charlie's? Please." She asked, putting her shoes on." S-sure." I grabbed my keys and we went to my car.

*At Charlie's*

We pulled up outside Charlie's house and it was huge. Susan looked at the house before turning to me," Thanks." She said looking at her fingers," Why? This is all my fault. If I had kept my mouth shut we wouldn't be here." I said," No, I was gonna tell him. It's ok." I nod," Do you want me to call Charlie? Saying we're outside." She nodded. I took out my phone and dialled Charlie's number." Hey, Bartlett. Yeah...we're outside. Yeah...do you mind if Susan's stays at yours? She's had a falling out with her dad...Ok thanks." I put my phone back in my pocket.

"What did he say?" Susan asked looking at me." Yeah, you can stay. He was wondering if you were going into school." She thought about it for a moment before speaking," Nah, I think I'll take the day off." I nodded." Could you do me a favour?" She asked looking at me." Sure."
"Could you go back home and get me some stuff. I don't want to see my dad."
"Me? Really? I'm pretty sure he hates me more than you right now."
"Please." I groan," Fine. But you owe me." She smiled and nodded." But...I'll have to do it after school." She nodded before getting out the car and heading to Charlie. I wave goodbye and head to school.

*After school*

"So, what is it you want?" I asked Susan. I was driving towards her house due to her wanting me to get her some stuff." Can you get me a few jeans and t-shirts and my favourite shoes."
"Ok. That it."
"Yep." I put my phone on he passengers seat and drove to Nathan's house. I'm not sure if he was at work still or at home.

I parked my car outside the house and noticed Nathan's car here. I groaned before getting out the car, I checked the door to se if it was unlocked. And it was. I quietly opened the door and was welcomed by a cold breeze, I closed the door behind me and looked to see if Nathan was downstairs. I checked the kitchen and living room and couldn't find him. I slowly went up stairs and went into Susan's room, I took her suitcase from underneath her bed and folded clothes into it. I packed everything she wanted, neatly, and I was proud of my self. I walked around her room and packed some under wear as well, don't want her going commando now do I?

I was too busy to hear the door open. Nathan watched me, holding a glass of whiskey, and was confused as to what I was doing back. I zipped up her case and sat down on her bed, I rested my against the wall and groaned in pain. I was starting to get bad cramps, which wasn't helping. I slowly opened my eyes and saw Nathan looking at me, I looked down at my fingers avoiding eye contact." What are you doing back?" Nathan asked, still looking at me." Susan wanted some stuff, so I'm getting it for her."
"She still don't want to see me, huh?"
"Nope." He came and sat next to me." I'm sorry about earlier, I was being an idiot. I shouldn't have gone through your phone." Nathan said looking at the glass in front of him." It's fine." I said looking at him, he looked back at me.

We sat in silence, sharing looks at one and other before I spoke up," I should be going." I stood up and grabbed Susan's suit case," A-Are you coming back." Nathan asked standing up." I don't know." Nathan nodded. We both walked down stairs and stopped at the front door," Could you tell Susan I'm sorry, about everything." Nathan said looking at me, I looked back at him and nodded." I'll see you later." I kissed his cheek, I could feel his stubble rubbing across my cheek as I moved away. He looked into my eyes before I walked away.

*At Charlie's*

I parked my car outside of Charlie's house and honked the horn, signalling I was waiting. I stepped out of my car and opened the trunk the room out the suitcase. Susan walk down the patio and come towards me," Hey." I said looking at her," Hey...Thanks for this." She said hugging me." It's alright." We pulled away and I handed her the suitcase." Did my dad sat anything?" Susan asked looking at me." He said he's really sorry about everything."
"Yeah...Let me guess, he was drinking." She replied," Y-Yeah." She shook her head in disappointment. We said our goodbyes and I got back in my car.

I was driving back from Charlie's when I got a call from Nathan," Hello?" I said." Hi, I was wondering if you wanted to come over. I need to make it up to you, sooooo what do you say?" I was shocked as well as confused." You know I forgive you right. You don't need to do anything to prove it."
"I know but, I hate hurting you...and Susan. I just want to make things right between us...Please."
"What did you have in mind?"
"Well, we could order in and watch the new movie that just came out."
"You mean, Rocketman?"
"Yep." I smiled in joy and squealed in excitement. " Ok, I'll be there in 10."