15. Not Alone

She felt Han's death when it happened, her dad. So did the rest of the family.

"Oh, Chewie," she cried when the Wookie returned, looking more sad than she had ever seen from him. "I'm so sorry."

"Waaaaaaaa," he said softly before wrapping her up in a big, warm hug. She buried her face in his fur and fell into his arms.

"Kes, I'm so sorry." Poe held her as she cried. 

"Ben - I'll kill him," she vowed.

She felt Luke's death when it happened, her uncle. Again because of Ben, her brother. Would the killing never end? Would she lose her whole family? Her birth family, as well as her adopted family?

And now she felt Leia's death as it happened, her mom, she reaching out to her children one last time.  One moment she was there, and then suddenly - nothing. She was gone. 

At her sudden and shocking grave news, Poe fell silent, and Chewie wailed.

An even greater solemnness had settled over the Resistance base when they returned.

"Then General, she's-" one of the officers came up to them.

"We know," Poe told her.  "We know."

"Chess, Leia made you Acting General," Rose told her. 

"Me?"

"Yes."

"I need to see her."

Soon she found herself sitting at her mother's bedside. "I'm not sure I ever really thanked you and Dad for doing what you did, taking me in. Raising me as your daughter, raising me alongside Ben as his sister.  I only hope and pray that you know how much it meant to me, you giving me a family and home when I no longer had one."

She turned upon hearing footsteps to see Poe. "Just wondering if you wanted some company,  but I understand if you'd rather be alone."

"Thank you." She wiped some tears away.  "Come sit." 

He sat down beside her, they leaning into each other for support. 

"All this makes whatever we were fighting about seem pretty silly."

"Yeah, it sure does." He wrapped an arm around her shoulders and she leaned into him, he pressing a tender kiss to her forehead.

She sighed heavily. "Acting General - I can't do this alone. Will you share the command with me?"

"Of course."

"General."

"General." Poe then sighed.  "They hit Kijimi."

"What?"

"They have planet-killing weapons on every ship in the new Sith fleet sent from Exegol."

"No-"

"Yeah."

"Oh, Poe - I'm so sorry." That meant that Zorii, everyone, was dead. 

"Yeah. I gotta tell you, I really don't know how we're going to do this." Poe faced Leia. "What you did - I'm not ready."

"I don't know if any of us are," Chess agreed. 

"Neither were we."

"Lando!" Chess jumped to her feet to hug him.

"Luke, Han, Leia, me... Who's ever ready?"

"How'd you do it?" Poe asked. "Defeat an empire with almost nothing?"