SIX

"i am a fatui harbinger, y/n." 

"you'll marry me?" 

now it's childe's turn to feel surprised.

"why are you surprised? you said you wouldn't mind."

y/n didn't hold back anymore. it was all or nothing. y/n's eyes met childe's orbs of serene blue. 

childe realized what he'd done. he walked into wanmin restaurant and ordered food. 

he also got himself caught in a potential marriage proposal. but he was a fatui harbinger. it was his job to travel from place to place, going on missions and engaging in battles. he couldn't have a family he needs to look after and have to go on long missions at the same time. 

"y/n.."

"what?"

"i'm a fatui harbinger."

"i know. so?"

childe sighed.

"i'm a fatui harbinger. i travel from place to place, going on long missions. most of these missions involve battles, and i don't know if i would even make it out alive. i'm sorry, y/n. there is no way i can cope with missions and a family at the same time."

this dream of fantasy and love was ended by the one who started it. y/n knew this was going to happen eventually. 

fun dialogue and pointless flirting, she knew it was going to end. she knew childe never had a thing for her. it was all her fantasy, all her delusions. 

y/n silently accepted it. she nodded sadly, forcing a smile on her face. 

"do you still want to learn how to use chopsticks?"

childe couldn't bear looking at how forlorn y/n is. he couldn't bear to see her to nod and smile like that after all that has happened. 

he didn't know if continuing to learn using chopsticks would hurt y/n more or cheer her up. 

"y/n?"

"yes?"

"do you still want me to show my face here?"

"what do you mean? you are always welcome to dine here."

y/n's sad smile was something childe didn't want to see on her pretty face. 

childe understood the meaning. y/n is going treat him as a normal guest. there won't be any more flattering, no more goofing off, no more of their silly interactions. 

all his fault for a misstep. all his fault. 

leaving the mora on the table and wrapping up the remaining food as takeaway, he gathered his things and prepared to leave. he reached to pat y/n's head, but stopped midway. 

"it's okay."

y/n said, turning to him.

"don't feel bad. i had it coming."

she got up and issued a bill for him. 

the pair exchanged nods and parted ways. 

author's note:

sorry lol

i'll patch your heart up don't worry

promise it's a happy ending