Jungle Pool Vacation Gone Wrong...

(CW: Graphic depictions of violence and explosions)

As Asher and Mila grew older, they became the closest of friends. Them being in the same high school made them the best of study-buddies. It worked out perfectly; Mila excelled in creative and artistic subjects, whilst Asher specialized in academics.

But their friendship was more than just that. Even when they went to different universities, the duo was always together. Through breakups, ugly crying and stress, they remained friends for the entirety of their student lives.

Asher worked at a coffee shop when he started university. Every day, Mila would walk in and tease the ever-loving-hell out of him. As much as he tried to be annoyed about it, there was always something about this little ritual that he looked forward to.

Perhaps it was the little smirk on her face, or that sweet, playful tone, or the way her eyebrows wiggled and her eyes shined when she walked in...

Asher shook his head, letting out a sigh as he adjusted his apron. He was working the night shift today. So far into the night in fact, that there was no one else in the barren café. Even his manager was retiring for the day, leaving him to close up when his shift was over.

Which was only in a few more minutes. Silently, Asher began to count down in his head, staring as the minute hand inched its way to the right. Just when he was about to start cleaning up, the front door opened, ringing the bell situated to frame.

Asher bit back a scowl as he put on his customer service smile. "Sorry, we're closed"

"Aww, that's a shame. Was hoping to grab a house blend"

His eyes popped open, watching as Mila strode up to the counter with a bright smile. How was she so chipper? It was midnight.

"Can't you make an exception just for me?" Mila teased, leaning a palm against the wooden counter. Her eyes twinkled with mischief, doing her best to hold back from laughing.

"Ma'am, we're closed for the night. Don't make me call security" Asher warned, giving her a playful glare.

"What? Lemme talk to the manager!"

"I'm afraid he's out. Can I close up now, Karen?"

"I'll tip you like $15"

"...what size coffee?" Asher chuckled, ringing up the register.

"Make it large. I'm in for the long haul tonight" Mila laughed, paying her deal. She took a seat on a nearby bar stool under the counter. It only until then did Asher notice the eyebags drooping on her face, and the bloodshot veins in her eyes.

"Writer's block?" he asked, spooning out the coffee grounds.

"Kinda. I don't know what to make of my next project"

"What's it about?"

"Romance. I have to write a dialogue between two people in love"

"And that's hard?" Asher raised an eyebrow, pouring the coffee into a mug. He added the milk next, before sliding it over the counter to her.

"It's harder than it sounds!" Mila huffed, grabbing the mug ungracefully. She downed half of it in one gulp, licking her lips after. An amused smile crept up on her lips. "Hey, you remembered my order"

"One milk, no sugar" he chuckled, leaning on his palms. "It's hard not to when you order the exact same thing every day"

"Yeah? I'm a simple gal, my guy" the girl smirked, taking a smaller sip this time.