1

Hal looked around curiously when they entered the room. Seats were scattered about a large desk—more like a table, in his opinion—where a set of books lay on the table.

Reading? he thought. What in the world did they have to do with reading?

"Will." He looked over as the older Ranger—Halt—beckoned to the younger, brown-haired Ranger. A quiet conversation was exchanged, with the older man's face furrowed in concern.

"What do we have to do with books?" Stig asked from beside him. Hal only shrugged.

"I've no idea."

Stig grinned. "That's a first," he said, and Hal arched an eyebrow.

"We've received a set of books," Duncan said, once they sat down. "There was a book attached to it, as well as a few suggestions to bring some people in. You all were those who were suggested."

"Where'd they come from?" Hal asked curiously. The King only shrugged.

"I've no idea," he said, and the third story of this mysterious series had begun as Duncan began to read.

THE WOLFSHIP WAS ONLY A FEW HOURS FROM CAPE SHELTER when the massive storm hit them. For three days, they had sailed north toward Skandia through a sea that was calm as a millpond—a fact appreciated by Will and Evanlyn.

The two in question exchanged a glance, and Will facepalmed. "Oh, joy," he groaned.

"This isn't too bad," Will said as the narrow ship cut smoothly through the waters. He had heard grim tales of people becoming violently sick on board ships at sea. But he could see nothing to worry about in this gentle rocking motion. Evanlyn nodded, a little doubtfully. She was by no means an experienced sailor, but she had been to sea before.

"Spoke too soon," both Cassandra and Erak chorused, and looked at each other in surprise.

"If this is as bad as it gets," she said. She had noticed the worried looks that Erak, the ship's captain, was casting to the north, and the way he was urging Wolfwind's rowers on to greater speed. For his part, Erak knew that this deceptively calm weather heralded a change for the worse—much worse. Erak and Svengal snorted. Meanwhile, Ulf and Wulf were whispering in the corner.

Dimly, on the northern horizon, he could see the dark storm line forming. He knew that if they couldn't round Cape Shelter and get into the lee of the landmass in time, they would take the full force of the storm. For several minutes, he assessed speeds and distances, judging their progress against that of the onrushing clouds. Not going to make it, Hal thought.

"We're not going to make it," he said finally to Svengal. His second in command nodded agreement.

"Looks that way," Svengal said philosophically. Erak was glancing keenly around the ship, making sure that there was no loose gear that needed to be secured. His eye lit on the two prisoners, huddled in the bow. Halt's lips thinned at the word prisoner, and Duncan widely chose to continue reading.

"Better tie those two to the mast," he said. "And we'll rig the sweep steering oar as well." Will and Evanlyn watched Svengal as he made his way toward them. He had a coil of light hemp in his hand.

"What now?" Will asked. "They can't think we're going to try to escape."

For the first time that day, Will cracked a smile as he looked over at Cassandra. She gave a light chuckle, while Erak and Svengal both snorted.