29

When they all sat down after a quick breakfast, Horace hesitated as he started to pass the book. "Are...are you up to reading, Will?" he asked uncertainly.

The Ranger shrugged, his face a stone mask. "I'll manage." Will took the book and inwardly groaned as he saw the first sentence.

EVANLYN HAD NO IDEA HOW LONG THEY HAD BEEN STUMBLING up the snow-covered path. The pony trudged, head down and uncomplaining, with Will swaying uncertainly on its back, moaning quietly. Evanlyn herself continued to stagger mindlessly, her feet squeaking and crunching on the new-fallen dry snow underfoot.

"Fun times," Cassandra murmured, and Horace squeezed her shoulders.

Finally, she knew she could go no farther. She stumbled to a halt

Someone snickered, and Halt sighed. "Must you always find that amusing, Gilan?"

The tall Ranger coughed as he tried to hide his laughter. "Who, me? Never."

and looked for a place to shelter for what remained of the night.

The prevailing north wind over the previous days had piled the snow thickly against the windward side of the pines, leaving a corresponding deep trough in their lee. The lower branches of the bigger trees spread out above these hollows, creating a sheltered space below the surface of the snow. Not only would they find shelter from the weather as the snow continued to fall, the deep hole would conceal them from the casual glance of passersby on the path.

"Not that they could've made it with all that snow," Halt said mildly.

It was by no means an ideal hiding place, but it was the best available. Evanlyn led the pony off the track, looking for one of the larger trees, set three or four rows back from the path.

Almost at once, she sank waist-deep in the snow. Horace raised an eyebrow. But she struggled forward, leading the pony behind her in the path she made. It took almost the last reserves of her strength, but she finally stumbled into a deep hollow behind a tree. The pony hesitated, then followed her. Will at least had the presence of mind to lean down over the pony's neck to avoid being swept out of the saddle by the huge, snow-laden overhanging branches of the pine.

Will grimaced. "Maybe being hit with a branch would've helped," he muttered. Alyss squeezed his hand.

The space under the tree was surprisingly large and there was plenty of room for the three of them. With their combined body heat in the more or less enclosed space, it was also nowhere near as cold as she had thought it might be. It was still bitterly cold, mind you, but not life- threatening. "Thank God for that," Cassandra muttered. She helped Will down from the pony's back and motioned for him to sit. He sprawled, shivering, his back against the rough bark of the tree, while she searched the pack and found two thick wool blankets. She draped them around his shoulders, then sat beside him and pulled the rough wool around herself as well. She took one of his hands in hers and rubbed his fingers. They felt like ice. She smiled at him in encouragement.

"We'll be fine now," she told him, "just fine."

He looked at her and, for a moment, she thought he had understood her. But she realized he was simply reacting to the sound of her voice.

Will bit his lip, and Cassandra stared at the ground. Their significant others leaned closer to them, offering what little comfort they could.

As soon as he seemed to have warmed up a little, and his shivering had died down to an occasional spasm, she unwrapped herself and stood to loosen the pony's pack saddle. The animal grunted and snorted in relief as the straps loosened around its belly, then slowly settled to its knees to lie down in the shelter.