Alyss raised an eyebrow as her boyfriend shoved the book towards her, but took it and began reading.

THE GRAY-CLAD RIDER HUNCHED MISERABLY INSIDE HIS CLOAK as he rode slowly through the misting rain that swept across the fields. The hooves of his two horses—one a saddle horse and the other serving as a lightly laden packhorse—clopped wetly in the puddles that had gathered in the undulations of the road.

"These descriptions are making my head spin," Horace muttered. Will grinned.

"Don't worry, Horace, we all get it. You're a knight." Horace gave him a mock glare, and he laughed.

Behind him as he reached a crest, the towers and spires of Castle Araluen soared into the gray sky. But Halt didn't look back at the magnificent sight. His gaze was set forward. Halt shifted in his seat. Crowley's gaze fell to the floor.

He heard the two riders following him long before they caught up. Abelard's ears twitched at the sound of the drumming hoofbeats and Halt knew his small horse had recognized the other two as Ranger horses. Still he didn't look back. He knew who the two riders would be. And he knew why they were coming. He felt a small shaft of disappointment. He had hoped that, in the confusion and sorrow over his banishment, Crowley had forgotten the one small item that Halt would now have to surrender.

Crowley smacked his forehead. "Did you really think I'd forget?"

Halt affected to think about it. "Actually, yes. You have quite the forgetful mind."

"I don't know why you tried. You knew you couldn't keep it."

"Why don't you commit treason? Then we'll see how you react when yours it taken away." Crowley huffed.

Sighing and accepting the inevitable, he touched Abelard's reins lightly. The highly trained Ranger horse responded instantly, coming to a halt. Gilan snickered, and Halt glared at him. Behind them, the packhorse did the same. The hoof-beats grew closer and he sat, staring dully ahead, as Crowley and Gilan reined in beside him.

The four horses nickered gently in greeting to one another. The three men were a little more reserved. There was an unpleasant silence between them, finally broken by Crowley.

"Of course it was," Halt muttered.

"Well, Halt, you got away early. We had to ride hard to catch up to you," he said, striving for a false heartiness that concealed his misery at the way events had turned out. Halt glanced incuriously at the two other horses. Steam rose gently from them in the cold damp air.

"We get it. Can't the author move on with the story?" Horace grumbled. Cassandra and Alyss both laughed.

"I can see that," he replied calmly. He tried to ignore the anguish on Gilan's young face. He knew that his former apprentice would be suffering deeply because of his inexplicable actions and he hardened his heart to shut out the young Ranger's sorrow.

"That shouldn't have even been a problem," Crowley said. Halt sighed.

Now Crowley lost his heartiness as well. His face grew serious and troubled.

"Halt, there is one thing you may have forgotten. I'm sorry to have to insist, but..." He hesitated. Halt tried to play the scene out to the bitter end, assuming a puzzled expression.

Crowley facepalmed and muttered something under his breath. Halt was wise enough to not comment on the words, while everyone else listened to the awkward chapter.

The Herons, however, felt empathy for the grizzled Ranger. It had been much the same with the Andomal, and they'd all have rather to have been killed trying to regain it than have their title of Brotherband taken away.