THE BOSS BEHIND THE HUNTERS

A couple of hours had passed since they had left the pack mansion, and they were able to sneak off without being noticed by the warriors. The sun beat down on their skin in between the opening of the trees, warming them up slightly from the cold wind that was blowing. Delta glanced up at Carlos, as they continued to walk. He was so focused on what was in front of him, that it is a sight to watch. He would make an extremely good warrior one day with having that kind of focus. She sighed, looking at the sky while she walked. It was beautiful today for some reason, making her smile thinking about it. It was open and blue, and the sun was bright, as if it went untouched. Like there was nothing out there trying to destroy it or enslave it. There was nothing out there that thought its kind was a nuisance and not meant to be alive like everyone and everything else. That thought made her lose her smile, as she looked back in front of her. She had been trying not to think like that since they left, but now it was starting to get hard to do so, when there is nothing to do but walk, and walk, and walk. She turned her neck side to side, trying to stretch it, and get it to pop. She would need a break soon, and she was sure that Carlos knew that, even though he didn't seem to be paying attention to anything, besides what's in front of him.

She sighed to herself loudly, finally deciding she needed to say something to him, so they could take a small break and at least eat something.

"Hey Carlos, we have been walking for at least three hours, I'm sure." She started the conversation off, trying to catch up to him. He glanced at her for a second, and then looked forward once again.

"I know. Are you asking me a question here?" He asked, getting quiet once again. Delta blinked a couple of times at the strength in his tone. She had never heard that tone before.

"Well, I, Uh, figured we could stop for like maybe five minutes, to eat a quick lunch. To keep our strength up." She responded, stepping over a log that had fallen in their path. He only glanced at her, slowing his pace down a little.

"Yeah, we can stop, I am getting hungry myself. But I want to get to an area I think we will be safe in. And are you out of shape? You seem to be struggling to keep up?" He asked, smiling a little at her. She gave a small laugh, looking over at him, trying not to roll her eyes at him playfully.

"Yeah, I have not been working out like I use to since we returned here. So, I must get back on track with that, once everything is over with." She spoke. He nodded his head at her, saying nothing else on it. She frowned. He did not seem to be in that good of a mood, and that worried her. Use to, if something were wrong with one of us, we would confide in each other. That does not seem to be the case here. Was it all an act, just so he could get close to me and figure out who I was? She shook her head a little, keeping him from noticing, to get those thoughts out of her head. She would have to ask him about it while they were eating their lunch, asking right now would not be the best option.

After thirty more minutes of walking, Carlos stopped walking and turned to her. Delta stopped as well, looking at him like he was confused.

"I think this is a good enough spot for us to stop for a minute and eat. Make sure you rest up while eating, because its only going to be five minutes, and then we need to get back on the road." He stated, dropping his bag to the ground, starting to get a fire together for them. She nodded her head, doing the same as him, and pulling out some food for them to cook and eat. She knew that she was hungry, but when her stomach started to growl at her rather loudly, she sighed. She was hungrier than she thought. All the walking they were doing probably did that to her. Carlos glanced at her, smiling, before turning back to the fire that he was currently building for them. It was getting somewhere so far.

"Must be hungrier than you thought. Skip breakfast this morning?" He asked, poking the fire with a stick. She watched him for a moment, before looking back at the fire.