Chapter 8

The shadow man pulled one of the cross pistols out of its holster and put it to Matt's forehead. He felt the cold metal tip of the gun against his hot skin. Rain pattered down on him as he waited for the trigger to be pulled and his life come to a cease. he began to cry at the thought. What would Mary do? where would she go? Would she find someone else? What would happen after his life left this earth forever? The man mocked and laughed at him.

"Any last words?" he laughed a muffled laughter coming through his skull-like mask.

Matt refused to answer.

The shadow man shifted, "Deny Christ and live." he said, "Do you believe in God?"

Matt not opening his eyes answered, "God? I don't..." Suddenly the shadow man was gone. Luke had tackled him to the ground with a loud growl.

Matt looked around and saw Luke and the shadow man struggling on the ground. He jumped up and helped Luke. Luke swung at the shadow man knocking off his helmet. The man yelped at the loss of his armor. Matt chipped in a kick at his dark face and the man started bleeding from his nose. Luke grabbed the man and lifted him up. "Who are you?" he questioned.

The shadow man laughed, "I'll never tell."

Luke punched him in the jaw, "You working for the government?"

"Yeah. And you Christian scum will scream when Luc makes you suffer." he laughed.

Luke threw him to the ground saying, "You can tell him this. We will never give up. We will fight for our Lord until we die."

Then Luke punched the bleeding shadow man one last time knocking him out. Matt and Luke fled as other shadows came running toward their position.

Saul raced forward, peering through the red, night-vision glow of the mask's eyes. He saw two men running away and two fallen soldiers. "Halt." he said with a fist in the air.

He walked over to see the damage done. One was unconscious with a broken nose. The other soldier's neck was twisted and he knew it did not end well for him. "Wake him up!" he demanded.

"What about the other one?" asked one of the soldiers.

"Leave him." he said as he walked toward where the two men had fled.

"You won't get away so easily." he said to himself.

He turned back to his men, "Come on. Before they get too far away. We must advance in order to stop them."

Saul and the three other soldiers started off leaving one to decay.

Matt and Luke met up with the others. Everyone else was already in the cars waiting. They both jumped in a car and sped off going south.

"What happened back there?" asked Rebecca.

"There were soldiers, but not like any other soldiers." said Luke.

"They looked demonic." said Matt trying to catch his breath.

Tom and Mary look puzzled at Matt. "What? I never said I didn't think things could look demonic." he shot back.

"We never said you didn't." said Tom.

Luke moved forward in his seat, "Anyways. We need to get away as fast as we can. These guys are tough. They may be special ops."

"I agree." said Matt, "Where now?"

Tom turned around and looked at them. "We go to Kentucky."