Chapter 9

They drove through the thick mountains of Kentucky. It was very beautiful compared to the dullness of Indiana. Tom breathed in the fresh air, "Ah, enjoy that air. Indiana doesn't have air like this."

"It sure is a good place to hide." Luke chimed in from his tight spot in the back along with Rebecca, Timothy, and Rachel.

"We should find a decent spot to hide. Maybe a cave or something." said Mary.

Rebecca turned around in her cramped position and looked out the back window, "Do you think they are still following us?"

"They might be." said Matt, "But they have one less on their side."

"Yeah." said Luke, "Next time, we'll be ready."

"Too bad we didn't grab both cars." Tim mumbled to himself.

"Don't worry." said Tom, "We'll have to ditch the car soon enough. We are running out of fuel."

"We should stop and rest for a bit." said Mary pointing to some clumped up trees, "That would make for a good spot."

Tom pulled the car over and they unloaded out of the car.

They moved through the hot forest, sweating and agitated. "Why can't we just call in a plane to pick us up and bomb the stinkin' runaways?" questioned a soldier.

"Shut up and man up!" yelled Saul at Slash.

Slash went to Saul and got in his face, taking off his helmet. "You gonna do somethin' about it?" said Slash, revealing the giant scar across his right eye heading all the way down to the left of his lip.

"Look Slash, I don't want a fight." said Saul, "You better back up. We have a mission to do. And I plan on finishing it."

"Then finish it. But I say we grab a stealth bomber and blow them pathetic Christians sky high!" sneered Slash.

Saul shoved past him, "No, we follow orders. You're either with us. Or you're a traitor. Which are you?"

Slash became silent and they started off toward south again.

Brute stepped by Saul, "Commander, where are we going?"

Saul looked the huge soldier over, his biceps swollen and his veins popping in and out, "Wherever they go. We find them and complete the mission."

"Okay, commander." said Brute as Shadow sneaked by them.

Slash looked toward Shadow, "Shadow, it's a surprise that you were even chosen for this mission. I mean, how did they notice you? I've never heard you say anything."

Shadow, a lean, short man with sharp, observant eyes. "Skills."

"Just skill? I'd like to see your skills." Slash laughed.

"Oh, you will. Just wait." said Saul.

And they continued south, waiting impatiently for some sign of life. Something to shoot at. They all sat amongst each other, resting for the time they had. Rebecca went over to Rachel and Timothy, "Is it okay if I sit with you two?" she smiled. "Sure!" said Rachel excitedly. Rebecca sat down by Rachel, "May I ask a question?" "Of course. What is it?" Rachel wondered. "Where are your parents?" asked Rebecca. Instantly, Tim jumped up, "No. Sorry, but I can't answer that." As he walked away, Rachel said, "We left our parents behind. They were sleeping on the ground. I wanted to wake them up, but he kept pushing me forward. Do you think they are looking for us?" Rebecca suddenly understood and felt terrible, "I'm sure they are." she smiled with a bit of doubt.