Chapter 21

Luke pulled the assault rifle from a fallen guard as Matt fired a pistol at another guard. The prisoners, now free and fighting back, were in an uproar. They outnumbered the guards ten to one and even though they were weak as individuals, together they were strong in Christ.

Luke and Matt ran through the crowd of rebels, fighting off guards and soldiers. No one could stop them. There fallen bodies all scattered across the former concentration camp. And even though some were Christians, most were guards. Luke hated killing, but he had no choice. It was either the guards or these innocent people. No matter the cost, he would not give up until his last breath. He was glad to have Matt at his side. He may not have been Christian, but he was still fighting alongside them.

Mary and Tom stood at awe watching what was going on. A total war had erupted. The prisoners, now warriors were fighting back. The guards were falling one by one, the warriors never ceasing for a second. One thing the Christians had over the rest of this cruel world was unity. No matter what part of the world we are at, we are united through God. "This is amazing." Tom finally said after watching the intense battle.

A huge Christian warrior smashed through the guards' defense at the front of the mine. "Where was he the whole time?" Matt asked sarcastically.

Luke laughed, "I don't know. Sure am glad he's with us though."

Saul and Brute ran into the mine and joined the fight. Saul, shooting Christians with his rifle and Brute, grabbing them and tossing them away. He finally confronted the giant Christian and they got caught in a fit-to-fist battle. The Christian threw a heavy right hook. Brute stumbled as blood started to drip from his lip, but he caught himself and returned a left uppercut. He went to go for another heavy hit, but the giant grabbed him by the back of the head and brought it down on a thick knee. Brute collapsed to the dirty ground, unconsciously as the Christians pushed forward.

Saul realized that he was outnumbered and retreated back to the forest. Before he could get away, Matt grabbed him ferociously. They both fell to the ground and ended up in a struggle for victory.

Saul kicked Matt off of him and then lunged at him with a heavy right, but Matt rolled to the side and returned a swift left.

Saul got up and pulled out a cell. "I need backup! Come get me! Now!"

Matt heard him and went after him again. He kicked him in the side, but Saul's armor protected him. Suddenly, a giant helicopter broke through the sky. Saul grinned at Matt, "Come on! Get me!" he yelled over the buzz of the helicopter.

Matt ran straight at him, roaring, fists out. Suddenly, he was taken from above. A man dropped from the helicopter and grabbed him, taking him back into the giant black hawk.

Mary screamed in horror as she saw Matt carried away by the helicopter. Saul turned to face her, grinned, and waved as he was carried away by a rope attached to the helicopter. The noise dissipated as the flying monster took Matt away. "Matt!" she cried and screamed. Tom grabbed her, "Mary, we can't get him!"

She pushed him off, "Matt! No please, Matt!"

Mary ran a few steps forward and fell to her knees crying.

Tom came up to her, "Mary. It's okay. They won't hurt him-"

"Shut up!" she cried.

Tom fell silent.

Who was he kidding. Of course they would hurt him. He'd be lucky enough if they just chopped his head off before interrogation. "I'm sorry."

The war was over, well, the battle was. This war was not over by far. Luke sat down, head in hands. What had he started? Matt was gone. Many people were dead. And what did he have to show for any of it? Lives? These people were now safe, but for how long? Hope? Had they been given any hope by fighting back? He just didn't know. The girl he seen earlier that day came to him. There was blood on her clothes, mixed with the dirt and sweat. "Thank you." she said with a tear in her eye.

Luke smiled lightly.

"Here." she said pulling out a piece of cloth from her back pocket, "This is for you."

He held it in his hands, "What is it?"

"It's a cross." she smiled, "It was my mother's. She gave it to me before she was captured."

He unfolded it and saw it for what it was. It was dirty white with a blue cross within the middle. It was beautiful.

"Thank you." Luke said graciously.