Chapter 16

Mary entered through the cave entrance, raking the rain from her soaked hair. Luke was helping Tom tend to his puffy nose as Tim tried to comb Rachel's hair. She complained here and there about how he wasn't doing it right. Finally, Rebecca came over and asked if she could try, which pleased both Tim and Rachel. Mary walked over to Tom, "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, sure." Tom wheezed through his now bruising nose.

Mary's face fell with sadness, "I'm sorry about Matt."

Luke patted Tom's nose and wiped away gushing blood with a wet leaf, "He should be fine. Once the blood stops, he should be fine. It may heal crookedly, but it's better than it would have been."

"You're just good at everything, aren't you?" asked Tom.

Luke chuckled lightly, "No, I have had my experiences. Broken nose is one of them."

"I'm glad you're with us."

"So am I." smiled Mary, "I'm not sure where we would be without you."

Luke wiped the blood from his hands, "I'm sure at the end of this, we'll all be in the same place." He glanced over at Matt slowly entering the cave, "Most of us, anyways."

"Do you have any kids?" Rachel asked curiously.

Rebecca brushed Rachel's wet hair, "No, I've always wanted kids though."

Rachel smiled brightly, "You'd be a great mommy!"

"Thank you." Rebecca said, "I'll take that as a compliment."

Tim watched as Rachel hummed cheerfully while Rebecca brushed her hair.

"Will you be my mommy?" asked Rachel.

Rebecca paused.

"But we have a mom, Rachel." said Tim.

"No, you made us leave them."

"Rachel, please."

"No, mommy and daddy are gone because you made us leave." she sneered, "I was just asking. Don't get all sassy."

Tim just walked away.

"I don't think he wanted to leave them behind, Rachel." said Rachel softly.

"But he made us. He could've..."

"Shh." Rebecca smoothed her hair, "I think it's best we get some sleep for now."

"Okay." Rachel said as she closed her eyes.

Matt walked over to Tom, "I'm sorry." he said tensely.

"It's fine." said Tom brusquely.

"No, it's not. I overreacted. I shouldn't have done that. I apologize."

Tom felt his nose, "It's fine."

"I understand if you're upset."

"Good."

"Okay." said Matt sorrowfully as he walked away.

Mary shifted by Tom, "Please don't take it too hard."

"I'll try."

"Please..."

"Look, he's not one of us. He said it himself. He'll probably end up betraying us. I just can't take that chance."

"He won't..."

"I've heard it before. Just please let me rest." he yawned, "It's been a rough few hours."

Had it only been hours? It seemed like it had been an eternity to all of them. "Fine." she said calmly, "I'll let you be."

Matt crouched against the cave wall as Mary came over by his side. "He's just mad. Don't let it get to you."

"I will. I punched him. I broke his nose. I have been the one against you all this whole time. I feel like I'm the enemy, not those soldiers."

"Matt..."

"No. You all should just leave me behind."

"You know I would never do that."

"I know." he breathed heavily, "But you should just leave me."

She touched his cheek, "Matt, I love you. I would never leave you."

Tears began falling from his tired eyes again, "Promise?"

"Promise."

They held each other as the night took over and the moon disappeared.