Chapter 20

They ran fast as far as they could and only stopped when they could go no further. Rachel collapsed on the ground, coughing and grasping for air, her tiny body aching for rest. Tom sat against a tree and Mary stood above them catching her breath. "Where are Matt and Luke? I thought they'd be back by now." said Mary.

"You don't think?" Rebecca paused while making sure Rachel was okay.

Mary shook her head, "No, they're smarter than to be captured."

Tom sat up from the tree, "Well, I may have a clue." he said slowly.

"What do you mean?" asked Mary.

Tom scratched his head, "Well, they sorta said that they were gonna break the prisoners free."

Mary looked at him hard, "What?"

"They went-"

She cut him off, "I know! Why did you let them go? You didn't even tell us?"

"I thought you would understand."

"Well, I don't." she said frustrated starting to walk away, "I'm going back."

"Mary, no." said Tom going after her.

She stopped and stared at him, "No Tom. I'm going back."

"Then I'm going with."

"No."

"Yes. I will not let you get hurt." he said firmly.

She thought for a moment. She was so tired and frustrated. Could this night get any worse?

"Fine." she finally said, "Rebecca, could you stay here and watch the kids?"

Tim protested, "I'm no kid!"

"You stay here!" Mary looked at him sternly.

"Fine." he moped back down toward Rachel.

Tom looked at Mary, "Come on. Let's go."

Matt couldn't help but feel pity for the poor people. They walked sadly along, obeying those above them with guns and batons. So what if they were Christians? No one deserved this. He felt as if he was living through the Holocaust. He had only read about it, but it seemed so much similar. How could someone do this? It was just so treacherous. Almost evil. No, it was evil.

Luke nudged his shoulder, "Come on, Matt."

"Those poor people." he said quietly.

"We're going to help them. We will get them out of here."

"Or die trying." Matt finished.

Luke look at him surprised, "Well, I'm glad you're with me. Let's do this."

Matt went up to one of the guards and even before the guard could ask him his business, the guard was unconscious. As soon as one guard went down, everyone went silent. They all stared at Luke and Matt. After a moment of utter silence, Luke stepped up and spoke loudly, "Those who have been captured for your beliefs, I say unto you. You are free! We will not be put away for our God is great! We will not be punished for our God saves! We will not be destroyed for our God is everlasting! Come! Join me, brothers and sisters, children of the Light! We will not back down! Never!"

Everyone cheered and roared.

"We are free! We won't be enslaved! We will fight back or we will fall, but we will never give up. We will rise!"

Mary and Tom sprinted through the dark forest. The moon beamed brightly hanging in the dark sky. "How much further?" said Tom through thick breaths.

"I think we're almost there." she replied with a gasp as they slowed to a stopping point.

Tom let "Oh my..."

"God almighty." said Mary.

They could not believe what they were seeing.

All of the prisoners were in revolt. Fighting back amongst them was Luke and Matt, arm-in-arm, brothers-in-arms.