Chapter 10 (Archie) - "Just friends ?"

I've always sucked at making choices, especially when it comes to my loved ones. Tonight, Betty confessed the real nature of her feelings for me : she sees us as a couple, and not as two best friends. This was so unexpected from her, I'm still astonished as ever.

And now, I'm being pushed to play a sick game : spending 7 minutes in the dark, locked in a closet with Veronica. But how could you say "no" to Cheryl's power of persuasion ? A girl with that much of authority turns us all into her slaves. At the moment, I just want to forget, and erase all this confusion from my mind.

So, I follow Veronica in the Blossom's gloomy wardrobe. Gloomy, that's a fact. Even after turning on the flashlight of my phone, I barely distinguish the slim figure of my game partner.

-"I know her brother died and everything, but Cheryl Blossom is truly the antichrist !", begins Veronica.

I giggle at her comment and her indignant expression. And then an awkward silence sets in.

-"How much time is left ?", she asks.

-"6 minutes and 45 seconds...", I answer, after checking my stopwatch. "So, uh... Do you miss New York ?", I question, to make the talk.

-"It's only been a week. But... yes.", she says, with nostalgia.

I nod in understanding. It might be difficult to be the new girl in a town like Riverdale, where everyone knows each other.

-"6 minutes et 20 seconds."

I wish I could accelerate the time, but it's sadly impossible. In the meantime, I can always add a little spice to our exchange...

-"Okay, your turn. Ask me a deep, probing question...", I say, giggling. "To kill time."

-"It looked like you and Betty were having fun at the dance...", she begins, with a little smile.

-"Definitely ! We've been friends forever.", I reply, casually. "My turn."

-"I didn't ask my question yet.", she objects. "Is that all it is ? Just... friends ?"

I pretend not to understand. The truth is I've never questioned my relationship with Betty. Everything is just so natural when we are together. I don't want to lose this for anything in the world. That's why I think that friendship is sometimes more valuable than love.

-"We're not just friends, we're best friends.", I answer, gliby, avoiding her question. "My turn."

I pause and allow myself to contemplate Veronica for a bit. I have to admit that there are worse situations than mine : ending locked up in a closet with a pretty girl - I mean, many would dream of taking my place... I take a deep breath, before asking the question I'm waiting for her to answer since we've met.

-"Did you have a boyfriend in New York ?"

-"No.", she says, after a sigh. "My turn. Could it ever possibly become something more ?"

-"Are you asking for Betty or for yourself ?", I ask back, seductive.

-"For Betty... And you didn't answer my question."

I close my eyes one second. Why does it feel like she's striking a chord ? Betty is my best friend, nothing more. She knows me better than anyone, she's the only one I feel most myself with, but she's like a part of my family. I can't experience other feelings for her, right ?

-"I've never felt - whatever it is I'm supposed to feel - with Betty.", I finally declare, half-convinced.

-"Have you felt it, though ? With anyone ?"

The moments spent with Miss Grundy immediately come to my mind. She was my first time. She became my muse, guiding me through music. She changed me, transformed me. And only love can get this power, right ? Or maybe this whole thing is much more complicated than it appears ?

-"Yeah... This summer.", I finally confess, uncertain. "Have you ?"

-"Maybe once.", she admits.

Of course, I'm intrigued by her answer. I would like to know more, but I don't dare question her further. I'm just glaring at her, and this time, she doesn't look away. Her doe eyes flutter and bewitch me with a mysterious perfume that makes me succumb. The air is charged with electricity, and I suddenly realize how tiny the room is, and how our proximity is growing.

-"You're a little more dangerous than you look, admit it.", she says, risking one step closer to reduce the space left between us. "All boy-next-door-ish...", she adds, grabbing my undone bow tie.

-"You have no idea...", I smile, enigmatic.

-"Your turn. Ask me a question, Archie... Ask me anything you want.", she whispers.

Her plump mouth is literally begging me to taste her lips. That's all it takes for me to succumb to temptation. I slowly lean in, and she does the same.

-"We shouldn't do this.", my conscience reminds me.

-"We definitely shouldn't do this..."

It is with those last words that our lips meet passionately, soon to be followed by our tongues, which dance together in a flaming tango. This kiss has a taste of risk and forbidness, but at this moment, we don't listen to rules anymore. Veronica puts her hands behind my neck, before grabbing my hair, to strengthen our embrace. And all of a sudden, I'm caught up in her nuts and bolts, and I can't get out of it...