Chapter 24 (Archie) - "Breaking rules" (Part 1)

Monday, 9 a.m. :

Before my incredulous eyes, Cheryl Blossom walks past me, surrounded by Principal Weatherbee and Sheriff Keller. During morning break, I hear echoes about Cheryl's police interview. The Blossom twins had apparently forged a boat accident so that Jason could flee Riverdale. But now that he is dead, the police have identified Cheryl as the main suspect. I think it is time for me to reveal my version of events by bringing the missing piece to this investigation. Thus, I go to the principal's office to alleviate my conscience, once for all.

-"I think I know something that could help with the Blossom investigation

-"I think I know something that could help with the Blossom investigation.", I confess to the two men, who stare at me suspiciously. "People are saying Cheryl heard a gunshot ?"

-"That's what she's claiming, yes.", confirms Sheriff Keller.

-"I heard it too. I was at Sweetwater River that morning.", I declare, after taking a deep breath. "I didn't say anything, because at first, like everyone, I thought Jason had drowned. But since the autopsy came out and said he died later, I decided to testify."

-"What were you doing down at the river, so early on July 4th ?", questions the policeman, hardly convinced by my excuse.

-"Uh... I was working on my music.", I say, trying my best to hide my internal distress. " I write songs..."

-"Did you see who fired the shot ?"

-"No, sir."

-"Were you alone ?"

-"Yes, sir."

The sheriff scans me for a few more seconds, as if to go through my thoughts. And for one moment, I pray that my lie is believable. Finally, they put an end to this interrogation, and they let me go freely.

As I should have guessed, the reactions to my testimony were pretty different from one person to another. My friends have supported me, surely, but my father has grounded me, and Miss Grundy has threatened to end our private lessons. Honestly, I don't know what to think of this relationship anymore... The only positive point in all of this is that the policemen have released Cheryl, and to thank me, she has arranged a meeting with the Pussycats !

**********************************

Tuesday, 2 p.m. :

 :