Chapter 5 (Betty) - "Archie's songs"

At lunch break, Kevin, Archie, and I enjoy the shining weather by eating outside on the pic-nic tables. Archie didn't forget his promise : he sits next to me and switches his laptop on to show his first musical demos. When he presses the button "Play", I first hear the vibrations of his guitar strings, and then the echoes of his smooth voice reach me like thousands of caresses inside my body. I stay in awe. I think it is the first time that I hear my best friend singing, and I admit he has a real talent : his tone is soft and melodious, and his music manages to pull me out of the courtyard ruckus. Archie glances at me sideways and seems to look out for my reaction, anxious. I can't help to smile to show how much I am proud of him, and he seems instantly more reassured. That's when a voice interrupts us. I turn my head towards the newcomer : it's Veronica.

"Can I sit ?", she asks, smiling.

"Yeah.", I say politely.

"What were you doing ?", she questions, curious.

"We were listening to one of Archie's songs.", I answer enthusiastic, while looking at the redhead next to me.

"I thought we will have to pretend to like it, but I find it pretty cool...", comments Kevin.

Surprise appears on Veronica's face.

"Wait, that was you singing ? You're a song writer ?", she asks, addressing to Archie.

"It's not even finished, yet.", he says, humble.

I think he is too harsh with himself, but that's how artists are : they are looking for perfection. Though, I can't help but contradict him.

"No, Arch. They are awesome !", I exclaim, as he gives me a smile.

After this moment, I feel like something is settling up in Veronica's head, while she smiles at us, and now it makes no doubt : she's attracted by Archie...

"It's incredible, I mean, only from what I've heard..."

She doesn't finish her sentence and runs her hand through her hair, while looking languidly at my best friend. She gives him way too much attention. I don't know what game she's playing, but I don't like it...

"Is it... Is that your passion, music ?", she speaks again. "Would you like a career ?"

I exchange a gaze with Kevin, who has the same expression as me. Archie seems to notice our discomfort.

"Yes... I hope so.", he answers, impassible. "And how's your 1st day going ?", he adds, to divert attention from him.

"I'm not completely narcissistic but I thought people would give me more...", begins the brunette with her arrogant tone.

"More interest ?", Kevin cuts her coldly.

No doubt that Veronica annoys him too : she is a bit too much comfortable since she got here.

"Another year, you would be in the centre of the news.", he informs her, sarcastic. "But this year the 1st place is attributed to Cheryl, who runs for the oscar of her compositional role, as the psycho widow of Riverdale."

I follow Kevin's gaze. Oh no... There she is : Cheryl Blossom arrives, in a determined step. She is the twin sister of Jason, but also the n°1 Mean Girl at Riverdale High. And above all, she hates me...

Archie also pretexts a meeting with Miss Grundy before football, and runs away, probably to avoid Cheryl and the tornado which will come down on us in a few seconds.

"Before you ask, Blue Jasmine, no, she didn't invite him to the dance.", Kevin says, referring to Cheryl.

"No, not yet !", I reply. "And don't talk about Archie !", I say hurriedly, just before Cheryl reaches our table.

"Veronica Lodge, the one everyone is talking about !", she begins in a cheerful voice, as she puts her hands on her hips. "I am Cheryl Blossom !"

I'm trying to be the most invisible as possible. I keep my head down, the eyes glued to my plate, hoping I can disappear under the table without Cheryl noticing.

"Can I sit ?", asks Cheryl, in a tone that sounds more like an affirmation. "Move over.", she orders me.

"So ? What were you talking about ? I want to know !", she says leaning on her elbow. "Archie becoming Zac Efron after puberty ?", she adds, with a mocking smile.

I give the big eyes to Veronica, silently begging her not to talk about Archie with Cheryl.

"Parascholar activities.", Veronica answers quietly. "Principal Weatherbee wants me to find something."

"I have a great idea !", declares Cheryl. "Join my team. I'm captain of the River Vixens !", she says, pushing her long red hair on her shoulder.

"Cheerleading ? I thought it was old-fashioned...", replicates Kevin.

"And having a gay best friend, is it old-fashioned ?", she replies addressing to me, while scowling Kevin. "Some people find it retro... I would say it's eternal and iconic !"

The face of my friend closes and we exchange a heavy look. Luckily, Veronica ends up the war and cuts Cheryl to talk about her cheerleaders.

"At Spence, I was on the top of their pyramid. I'm in.", she says smiling. "Betty, you'll try out with me.", she adds.

Oh, that's a really bad idea Veronica...

"Of course, we should give everyone a chance.", Cheryl declares falsely. "But... maybe Betty has always bitten off more than she can...", she adds fixing my meal. "And I think it is a full-time activity, but we'll see !", she concludes ironically.

Cheryl takes her bag and stands up. Finally ! I can't hide my relief.

"Follow me on twitter : www.cherylbombshell", she says to Veronica before leaving.

Her twitter account, it's kinda a signature look for Cheryl, it's what enables her to gain power, and of course, she advertises it to newcomers.

"I know. Cheerleading, it's bullshit...", begins Veronica, as soon as Cheryl is out of range.

"I dream to be a Vixen.", I confess. "It would be perfect for my applications, but Cheryl flunked me last year : I wasn't slim enough for her...", I inform.

That's how Cheryl attacked me, after she learned about Jason and Polly's relationship : by ruining my dreams and my self-confidence.

"Sometimes, I wonder who she thinks she is... A true diva !", says Kevin giggling. "But, she's wrong about you.", he reassures me.

"Yes, you look great, at least now. I'm sure there is no one as brilliant as you. You could be the Queen B of Riverdale High.", adds Veronica. "Listen. If you really want to practice, I can help you. I know how it works."

I can't help but smile. Actually, Veronica is kinda nice - when she's not interested into Archie. Maybe we could become friends. Besides, I'd like to take my chance, because this year, I feel that everything could change...

"You know what ? Show me your moves !"