Chapter Twenty

I glared intentionally harshly at Eleanor as I passed her in the hall on my way to English. She either didn't notice or didn't care.

I sighed quietly to myself as I sat down at my desk, none too happy about waking up at seven on a Monday morning. I immediately turned to Harry, tapping the wooden surface beneath my arms repeatedly to see if that would get him to look over at me. I frowned in disappointment when he just stared off at the chalkboard and eventually gave up.

I had a few seconds to slip my phone out with the intention of texting him, but I quickly got distracted. I scrolled through Instagram under my desk for far too long, waiting for lecture to begin, and found myself looking at the picture of me and Harry. There were more comments than I expected, the majority of them being blue and green hearts or something about us being the best boyfriends. I hid my wide grin with my hand and flipped over to Harry's profile to look at his.

I couldn't see the picture of us right away, so I scrolled farther and farther down until I eventually got to the bottom of his page. Confused, I went all the way back to the top, scouring every image to find us. My heart sank to my shoes when I realized that it was gone entirely. Harry had deleted it.

I should have been angry with him; he promised that we would come out and that this would be the first step. He broke his promise and I have every right to be angry, but I'm not. I just felt gutted.

To Harry: Meet me in the hallway

He looked down to his phone and then up at me with his eyebrows raised and a clearly lost expression.

From Harry: Now?

I nodded and quickly excused myself from class, signaling for him to wait a couple minutes. I sighed, closing my eyes and leaning against the wall while I waited for him. He approached me moments later, smiling brightly and putting his arms loosely around my neck.

"Missed me too much to wait for class to end?" He leaned in to connect our lips, but I wasn't very much in the mood for kissing him.

Always the understanding type, he noticed immediately that I was upset and he questioningly tilted his head, frowning. "Kitten?"

My breath visibly hitched before I could say anything, tears suddenly brimming behind my eyes. Harry was frantically reading my expression with a worried look and he kissed my forehead softly. "What's the matter, Lou? You can always tell me, you know that."

I nodded; I did know that. I forced my throat to clear and raised my gaze up to meet Harry's concern-ridden eyes. He took one arm off of me in favor of putting his hand to the side of my face.

"Why did-" I got cut off by a choked sob involuntarily slipping out of my mouth. Harry brushed his thumb over my cheek, his eyebrows pulled together from distress.

"Why'd you take it down?"

He sighed heavily, his face relaxing. "Louis-"

"You promised we'd come out." I shook my head. "You said we could even speed things along with that picture, but you deleted it."

He opened his mouth to speak but I cut him off again.

"Why would you do that? It's not like you could even see us in the picture! It was really just for me, right? So that I would feel better about all this? And then you got rid of it anyways. Harry, please, why'd you do that?"

His face was creased with either surprise or hurt, I couldn't quite tell which. Perhaps both. His voice was weaker when he finally responded. "You could see your ring in the picture."