Chapter 22: Goodbye, Princess

Scenarios that Karylle kept on thinking of different endings.

Ano kaya ang mangyayari, kung di namin minadali ang lahat? kung di kami umalis ng bahay at hinarap nalang ang problema sa pamilya namin?

It ate her for days after the encounter with Vice's grandfather. She never spoke a word about it to her lover yet it gnawed at her night after night. And each thought pained her.

Nang dahil sakin nahihirapan siya. It was the bottomline of all the thoughts.

If it wasn't for me, he would still be one of the most powerful man in the philippine car industry, he would be on his way to becoming an economic superpower. A business tycoon, a man at the top of his game na kahit sa ganoong edad pa lamang e nakaangat na siya sa lahat. Pero tinalikuran niya lahat ng yun, nang dahil sakin.

He was a Casanova, a stupid prince on a white horse who left his kingdom just to save a measly princess from the slums.

Tama!! Ang tanga niya, at ganun din ako.

Karylle wiped the tears and tried to pacify the sobs that were dying to leave her. It was night time again, they lied together on the bed, his arms around her waist. He was asleep and she doesn't want to wake him up.

Vice had changed too after that day, he was always deep in thoughts, but he never shared anything, never said anything. She tried to clear her thoughts, it was useless to think of eloping as a mistake. It was over and done, they were together now. But still, it pained her. He was suffering because of her.

Vice's arms tightened on hers and he moved closer. She can feel his warm breath on her nape. "K...?"

"I'm okay... sorry I woke you up. Ano lang kasi um-" The tears fell again and she couldn't hide it anymore. He moved closer.

"nagsisisi ka ba?" he asked very softly and she covered her mouth to stop herself from crying more. "K... pinagsisihan mo ba na sumama ka sakin?"

"Oo..." she whispered in the dark, her voice breaking. She turned and snuggled to his chest.

"nahihirapan ka na, diba?" His hands stroke her hair and she cried more in his arms. "Nahihirapan ka, ng dahil sa akin...I'm sorry... sorry... sorry..." she continuously apologized as the tears fall from her eyes like running water.

"Shhh... Karylle-" He moved on top of her and kissed her softly, trying to console her. But it was not enough. Guilt was coursing through her body like wildfire. Even with his presence, she could not wash away the truth.

"K... listen... hindi mo to kasalanan, pinili ko to. Ikaw ang pinili ko, kurba... please wag ka nang umiyak..." he whispered and continuously kissed her lips until the sobs left her. He looked at her intently and planted kisses on every part of her face forehead, eyes, cheeks, nose, chin.

"I love you..." K whispered and Vice smiled softly.

"I love you too..." Vice leaned down to kiss her again and she tried to forget the guilt with every movement of his mouth. Tears continue to pour from her eyes. She couldn't stop them, nor can she stop the emotions that filled her heart.

"tama ng iyak..." he muttered in-between kisses. "Ang papait na ng mga halik mo oh..."

Karylle laughed lightly and he kissed her deeper. She wrapped her arms around his neck. Her fingers clutched his hair as the kiss went deeper and deeper. They moved together on the bed, trying their best to forget the pain.

It's been a long time since someone from their past came into their lives. They were used to being just the two of them, struggling with an average life. The sudden appearance of her father and his grandfather somehow brought them to the reality that there were things they cannot hide from. Their pasts were there, lingering behind some unknown faces in the bar or in the bookstore.