Chapter 10: By the Stroke of Midnight

The sound of Jason Mraz's music drilled into K's consciousness and she annoyingly opened her eyes to check who the caller was.

JOSE MARIE VICERAL.

Hay! ang kulit! She had personalized the ring tone for him so she'll know if he was calling. She designated one of Jason Mraz's songs, If it Kills Me. She loved that song and it was kinda perfect for them. Even against her will, she clicked the button and placed the phone to her ear. It wouldn't hurt to hear his voice again.

"Good morning kurba!" he said happily on the other end and K's cheeks flushed instantly.

"VICERAL, you have been calling every five minutes for the last three hours. pwede bang patulugin mo naman ako kahit 2 oras lang?" she said, trying to feign annoyance. She could imagine his smiling face and his beautiful eyes.

"diba may klase ka," Vice said matter-of-factly. It was already past lunchtime. She missed her classes already. "bakit nakahiga ka pa diyan?"

"wala akong ganang pumasok at alam mo kung bakit." K closed her eyes, trying to not sound hurt. But she felt otherwise. Thinking about what happened last night hurt and humiliate her to the core.

"K...pupunta ako diyan." Vice sounded alarmed. She can imagine the frown on his beautiful face.

"wag," she whispered, eyes still closed. It was the only word she can come out with. Because truth be told, she wanted to see him so much. His presence offered some sort of assurance, comfort that no one in her current world can give. She needed him. But he needed someone else.

"gusto kitang makita."

K winced, her heart breaking again. Damn, he was the only one who can break her over and over again and she would let him.

"lalabas ako," her voice broke.

"akala ko matutulog ka pa ng dalawang oras? nandiyan na ako mga less than 10 minutes."

"Vice...wag na-hindi kita...gustong makita. Please pabayaan mo na ako,"she told him in the softest voice she could.

Tears flowed from her eyes and sadness washed over her. It was too early to cry, but she could not help it, even though her eyes were still sore from last night.

"Karylle..."

"siguro mas mabuti ng ganito." She was literally sobbing on the line.

"hindi mo ako naintindihan kahapon."

K tried to laugh but it ended up sounding pained and vicious.

"binasted mo ako at umiyak magdamag dahil sayo, tapos sasabihin mo mali ang akala ko?" She wiped her tears. "ayaw kitang makita Viceral, not now and probably not in the next days."

"You're still my girlfriend," he said hopefully.

"No I'm not, matutulog na ako." She was about to put the phone down when he spoke again.

"akala ko ba lalabas ka?" K tried to speak but he cut her again.

"Too late, nandito na ako." The doorbell rang and K sighed annoyingly. She lazily walked toward the front door, uncaring whether she looked monstrous that morning.

"may dala akong breakfast." Vice raised bags of food. K smirked and opened the door for him. She cut the phone conversation and tried her hair in a high ponytail.

Vice followed her happily, his heart beating wildly in his throat. He never expected her to open up. But he did notice the puffiness of her eyes and the loneliness in the way she looked at her.