Chapter 21: Outside the Castle

"OI VICE, ISA PANG BEER DITO!" one of the men hollered and Vice hurriedly filled one large mug of cold beer. Glasses clinked and rough laughter filled the small bar where he worked.

It was past midnight already and men still continue to pour from the door. A few more minutes and his shift will end. He'll be able to sleep by then. He placed the mug on the counter and slid it to the burly man at the other end.

"OO ETO NA!!" he screamed and the man caught the mug, laughing because he finally managed to do it right. He's been working in the bar for months now, earning enough for daily sustenance.

The former President of Philippines highest-earning company was now in a murky bar, beer in hand, serving all sorts of liquor to men who waste hard-earned money for some good time. He no longer looked like a girl, his chin was rough from growing hair and his body was broader now.

Vice finally understood what it felt to barely live yet he was happy. Not once, even with the lack of money, had he ever regretted the day he chose Karylle.

Oo, mahirap ang buhay pero masaya ako. Siya ang buhay ko, ang tanging taong nagpapasaya sa akin, kahit si Jhong hindi naibigay ang kaligayahan nararamdaman ko ngayon. And I loved her for that.

"Vice pare, gumuguhit ka pa rin ba?" a familiar man asked and he smiled, leaning on the counter.

"oo naman, bakit?"

"eh kasi, nagaway kami ng girlfriend ko kaya naisipan ko na bigyan siya ng sketch" the man told him in a low voice. "ipapaframe ko sana at idisplay sa kwarto niya... magkano naman niyan, brad?"

"kailan mo kukunin? nagpapacharge ako ng kaunti kapag rush e." Vice told him the price and the man nodded.

"Okay lang, eto picture niya oh, ang ganda niya diba? daanan ko nalang dito kapag natapos mo na ha, nakasalalay ang kinabukasan ko sayo pare ko. O sige una na ako!" the man said, paying the bill and then leaving him some small tip. Vice nodded and laughed as the guy left.

Vice looked at the photo and shook his head, placing the picture inside his shirt pocket. He had been doing sketches of anything just to get extra money. His bartender stint was after all only from afternoon to midnight. He looked at the clock and hoped his replacement would come in.

Hay! gustong-gusto ko nang umuwi, gusto ko ng makita si K.

"isang rum nga, iho." a man told him and his eyes widened when he saw Karylle's father sitting on the counter, looking straight at him.

"opo, sandali lang po sir." Vice immediately went to the rack and prepared the man's drink. He hurriedly placed it on the counter and the man sipped from it very slowly. Vice felt awkward, he never thought Karylle's father goes to such a place. But then, his suit was out of place in the crowd.

"salamat," the man said. "kamusta ang anak ko?" the man asked. Vice looked down.

"okay lang po siya, we're struggling but we're coping well." The man drank the contents of his glass. "isa pa ho?" The man nodded and he poured him a glass.

"ibang-iba na ang itsura mo, Mr. Viceral," the man noticed. "sino ang magaakala na sa ganitong lugar ka mapapadpad dahil sa anak ko."

"Um, JM nalang po" Vice looked down and rubbed his neck "okay lang po ako, okay lang kami ni karylle. Hindi niyo na po kailangan magalala sa—"

"kasal na ba kayo?" Karylle's father asked and Vice shook his head. His heart palpitated. Kukunin niya ba si K?

"nagiipon pa po kasi ako, gusto ko siyang mabigyan ng magandang kasal, sasabihan namin po kayo kapag ikakasal na kami." The man emptied his glass and asked him for another serving of rum.