Him.

First day of school. It shouldn't be a big deal for someone as confident as Eddie Kaspbrak. Since he had arrived at his new apartment, much more smaller than his last one, he had decided he would try to see things positively.

"Who knows, Bev." he had told Beverly, days ago. "Maybe I can find a girlfriend."

"That's the attitude, Eddie!" she encouraged him, taking a sip of her drink. "Do you know any girl from Derry?"

Eddie shook his head.

"Oh, but don't worry, Bev, I will." he answered with a smirk. "Once I step in the school, every girl will fall in love with me. I guarantee you that."

That was Eddie's plan: get a girlfriend. How difficult could it be?

Before leaving, he took a look at himself in the mirror: his smile was back again and his freckles made him look more attractive. There was one problem: his uniform. He despised the way it made him look. He still couldn't understand why did he had to wear a uniform when they were seventeen years old and, especially, why did it have to be so ugly. He had lost the chance to seduce every girl with his expensive clothes because now, some stupid rules forced him to wear some gray trousers and a green pullover.

Every second he spent in front of the mirror was a torture for him. So, instead of succumbing, he decided to show himself a little. He took the pullover off and wore a tight blue shirt and he tied a hoodie around his waist. He refused to wear a tie and, instead, he put on a bow tie. He ruffled his hair, smiling.

"That's better." he took a deep breath and, before going out, he took a fancy fanny pack with only a pen and his inhaler inside.

//

The school wasn't far away from his home, less than ten minutes, but Eddie played music through his headphones again. Every opportunity he had to listen to his favorite songs, he would take it without thinking it twice.

As he was getting closer to his destiny, he started to notice some students and how, all of them, were wearing the uniform correctly. The exactitud of the students scared him, realizing he was getting everyone's attention. It wasn't the first time he acted out of the ordinary and he liked being looked at but, for some reason, he thought they were not admiring him. They were judging him.

But, just when he got to the front door, he realized his biggest fear was true. He covered his mouth with his hand and looked at every single student. The uniform wasn't the only thing they all had in common.

It was an all-boys school.

Eddie couldn't believe his own eyes. His bad luck had reached another level. If everyone was a boy, there was no way he would get a girlfriend there. All his expectations died there.

Knowing he couldn't go back now, Eddie walked in in silence. He didn't care that everyone was still looking at him. They were all boys. He was getting boys' attention. Eddie didn't want that kind of attention. He wanted girls to look at him. But there weren't any.

"Excuse me," somebody raised his voice at Eddie, who had now taken his headphones off. "your clothes are not appropriate."

It wasn't until he turned around when he saw a curly haired boy holding a notebook with a pencil. He was glaring at him, hating every single thing that Eddie was wearing.

"Excuse me?"

"Your clothes are against the dress code." the boy insisted.

It was obvious that it was another student, noticeable by his uniform, but he was wearing a tag on his pullover that Eddie had never seen before.