Butterflies

Eddie couldn't believe his words. Did he really say that? A... girlfriend?

"Not like that." Richie continued, noticing Eddie's jealousy. "I need a girl to pretend to be my girlfriend. Or ex-girlfriend. I don't know. Someone I hooked up during summer."

"You... hooked up with a girl?"

"No, it wasn't a-" he decided not to correct him on that. "I mean, we didn't have sex, we... um... just made out. A lot, actually, but..."

That was even worse than listening to Richie say he needed a girlfriend. Eddie could only imagine Richie kissing another girl, passionately, while he was just standing far away, looking at them...
He shut his eyes. He wanted that image to go away from his mind. He wanted to be normal. Eddie never asked for this. He didn't...

But then, there was Richie, staring at him while Eddie was trying to process all that information. He had never made out with anyone. He just kissed a girl. Once. When they were kids. That's all.
However, Richie had a bunch of lovers standing behind him. And who was he to compare himself to them? His stepbrother. They were family. It was disgusting.

"So, will you help me?" Richie asked again, sitting on Eddie's bed.

Eddie looked around, desperately. He had no words yet. He was still coping with everything. It was all too sudden.

"I... know a girl." Eddie finally confessed. He wanted to see her again but not with those circumstances.

"She hot?" Richie teased him, with a smile.

Eddie ignored his question. He had never thought of Beverly that way, even if he considered her really pretty. He could ask her to come to Derry, but... to pretend to be a stranger's girlfriend? Of course she would accept, that was the way she was. She always put the others first, and that was why she was such a good friend.

Eddie took his phone from the shelf and unlocked it with his fingerprint. He looked for her contact, but before he could find it, Richie had grabbed Eddie's waist and had pulled him against the bed. Eddie held his phone tight and it wasn't until he felt the comfortable mattress when he noticed Richie laying by his side, smiling happily.
He thanked him a million times, tickling him, before Eddie could make him stop.

"Let me text her, Rich."

"Huh?" Richie opened his eyes wide open. "What was that?"

Eddie pressed his lips together, trying to hold his laugh. He had no idea why he hadn't said his name completely, but it sounded right.

"Sorry."

"No, say it again." he laid on his side, admiring him.

"Fuck you, Rich."

Richie screamed like a fan girl seeing her favorite celebrity. Eddie got quite scared but he giggled at his happiness. He guessed their nicknames were official now.

"Shut up so I can focus." Eddie looked through his messages until he found her.

Richie looked at his screen intensively.

"Bev?" he read out loud. "Can I stalk her?"

"No way." but it was too late: Richie had stole his phone now.

He immediately clicked at his profile picture and analyzed it: it was a red-haired teenage girl with curly short hair, she was taking a mirror selfie while wearing a cute short dress with white dots. He liked the way she dressed so much that he even zoomed at her chest.

"Hey! Stop!" he grabbed his phone from his hands. "You just lost your opportunity."

"Oh, come on, Eds. I was just messing around." but Eddie had already turned off his phone. "It was a joke, really."