Track 32: Stop and Stare

Nung in-advise ni Tita Claire na manatili ako sa bahay ng ilang araw after kong ma-discharge galing sa ospital, natuwa ako.

At least, hindi ko kailangang makinig sa mga long lectures ng professors namin o kaya mag-pretend na interasado ako sa nga kwento ng mga classmates ko tungkol sa hangover nila kaka-party during the weekend. Most of all, I wouldn't have to worry about bumping into my former fake boyfriend (slash half-brother).

Habang nasa labas ako ng bahay at nagdidilig ng mga halaman ni tita, isang boses ang aking narinig mula sa aking likuran.

"Hey, watch out!"

Nabitawan ko ang hawak kong tabo at timba. Pagtingin ko sa harap, isang batang babae ang aking nakita. Her blue eyes levelled mine as she stared back at me.

"Sorry, hindi kita nakita," I murmured, inspecting her loose Metallica shirt and black ripped jeans flecked with spots of water.

Grunting, she peered at her stained clothes, her dark blonde locks covering the sides of her round face.

First time ko pa lang siyang nakikita, but her resemblance to the pop star next door was obvious, even for a non-fan like me.

"Yana! There you are!" Asher's voice snapped me out of my reverie as I saw him step out of their front door. His eyes travelled to mine and back to his sister the moment he reached us. "I see you two have met now."

The girl arched a brow, turning to the guy next to her. "Uhm, okay?"

Asher giggled, exposing the tiny curve on his cheek. "Yana, that's Jam. Jam, this is my sister, Ariana."

"Just Yana," the girl corrected, exposing the clear braces attached to her teeth. "So, you're the Jam?"

I glimpsed at Asher, not quite sure kung bakit ganun ang reaction ng sister niya. "The Jam?"

"Yeah, well, my brother has been blabbering about how he met a girl here and that-"

Asher wrapped an arm over his sister's shoulder, covering her mouth to stop her. "What she means is that... I've told them about you," he clarified.

I bat an eye, nodding slowly. "Ah. Uh... I've heard about you too, Yana."

Ariana grabbed her brother's hand, yanking it away from her mouth. "Only good things, I presume?"

I beamed at her. "Only good things."

"Hey, kids anyone up for lunch?"

I spun to the owner of the voice and found a woman standing on their front door and waving in our direction.

"Coming, mom!" Ariana responded, glancing at me before marching away.

"That's mom," Asher mentioned and I just nodded. "Have you had lunch yet? Do you want to join us?"

"Uh, I'm not really hungry." The truth was, hindi pa ako kumakain simula kaninang umaga. But, I didn't want to ruin their family reunion. And I knew it would be too awkward with Asher's mom there.

Asher squinted at me. "Are you sure? We have lumpia."

I held my breath for a second, not letting the temptation to get the best out of me. "I'm sure, thanks."

"Ash, bakit hindi mo imbitahin ang kaibigan mo?" His mom called out.

My eyes darted back to Asher, his lips formed an innocent smile. "Do you accept the invitation?"

"Sige na nga," I answered, shrugging.

Asher snorted. "I knew you can't say no to lumpia."

I just threw him a look as he led the way towards the entrance of their house.