Track 7: Remembering Sunday

Nanatili ang mga mata ko sa television sa aking harapan habang kumakain ako ng cookies and cream ice cream.

Gusto kong i-enjoy ang araw na ito because tomorrow would be the start of my college life.

Knowing that I would have to face new people made my stomach twist in a knot. Our class would probably have more or less fifty students. That would make it easier for me to camouflage.

When the light on my phone flickered from the table, I dipped my spoon in the ice cream tub, reaching for my phone with one hand. Asher's message popped on my screen.

"Jam! Whatchu doin?"

I set the tub of ice cream on the table and typed, "Watching. You?"

"Can you come over? I'm bored."

"Why don't you come over?" I still hadn't forgotten the fact that he was leaving soon and until now, hindi niya pa rin ito sinasabi sa akin.

But then, I also remembered that he just found my necklace yesterday, so I guess I shouldn't be mad at him.

"I can't."

"Why not?"

"I'm not feeling well."

Agad kong pinatay ang tv at tumayo sa aking kinauupuan.

Tulog pa si Tita Claire dahil galing siya sa night shift niya. I would have to message her that I was going to Asher's house, just in case she would suddenly look for me.

Nagtungo ako sa kwarto para kumuha ng paracetamol mula sa drawer ko. Swerte ko dahil nurse si mama kaya laging may nag-aalaga sa akin. She never forgot to remind me to pack some medications whenever I went on holidays or out of the house. Kaya naman ngayon lagi akong may dalang gamot sa bag ko.

Matapos kong kunin ang isang banig ng paracetamol, nagtungo ako sa kapitbahay namin.

When I pressed the doorbell, a guy in thick-rimmed glasses welcomed me from behind the door.

His wide smile almost fooled me, but seeing his slightly rosy cheeks, I knew he was not in his best condition.

"Jam!" His voice even sounded off, although I could tell that he was trying to hide it.

I looked at him in worry. "Ash," I mumbled.

He kept a small smile on his face. "What's with the frown? You didn't miss me?" At may energy pa rin talaga siya para mag-joke.

"Ash, nagkita lang tayo kahapon," I pointed out.

"Wow! You could've at least lied and said you missed me." He clutched a hand over his chest, turning to me. His eyes wrinkled, the lines on his forehead also making an appearance.

Umiling ako at pumasok sa bahay nila.

"Jam!" He followed behind, poking my back with his finger like the twenty-two year-old kid that he was.

I spun around to face him, my face almost bumping to his chest. Buti nalang at na-balanse ko agad ang sarili ko.

"May dala akong paracetamol. Hindi ko lang sure kung-" Napatigil ako nang kunin niya ang dalawang kamay ko na may hawak na banig ng paracetamol.

"Thank you," he finally spoke, his blue eyes sparkling under his glasses. "I'm really glad you're here now."

That single line made my heart skip a beat again just like how I felt yesterday and all those other times he would do something like this. Akala ko matapos yung nangyari kahapon, magiging awkward kami ni Asher sa isa't-isa. But then, awkward wasn't really on Asher's dictionary.