Track 5: Be Alright

"That's my mom and my sister." Tinuro ni Asher yung picture ng dalawang babae na magkatabi sa may phone screen niya.

His mom, Nancy had the same dirty blonde hair as him, only hers was straight and fell just above her shoulders. Ariana, his thirteen-year-old sister got the same hair and eye color, and even though her face was plump, I could still see the beauty running through their genes.

"They're both really pretty," sabi ko sabay lingon kay Asher na nakatingin pa rin sa picture ng mom at kapatid niya. I could see how much he loved them from the way his cheeks rose up.

Scrolling through his phone gallery, na-realize ko na halos pictures ng kaniyang mom at sister ang laman nito. Seeing how close he was to his mom and sister made me admire him even more.

As he swiped his screen up, nakita ko ang ilang photos ng isang blonde na babae, one of which was her wearing a red two-piece with the beach as her backdrop. Her curves and long legs even added to her already-perfect face. Sometimes, I wondered how such humans exist.

"That's my ex-girlfriend," Asher spoke beside me, snapping me out of my insecurities.

Even though I already expected that she was indeed his girl, my heart still stopped for a nanosecond, trying to let that thought sink in.

Naalala ko ulit ang sabi ni Fiona tungkol sa ex-girlfriend ni Asher - ang rason kung bakit siya bumalik dito sa Pilipinas... para makalimutan niya ito.

Never kong tinanong si Asher tungkol sa past relationship. I just didn't know if I wanted to know about it.

"She's the reason why I'm here, you know..." his voice trailed off, glancing at me with a small smile. Again, he was trying to hide his misery behind it. "I was hoping I could forget about her if I come here."

"Asher... Sorry..." Tinignan ko siya at nanatili ang mga mata niya sa sahig.

Hindi ko alam kung ano ang isasagot ko. Takot ako na baka may masabi akong makakasakit sa kaniya.

"I'm all right, Jam." He turned to me, his dimple attempting to brush my worry away.

Hindi ako expert sa pag-comfort ng mga taong heartbroken, but I remembered my cousin having a way to move on from her exes. May playlist siya na lagi niyang pinapakinggan. Sabi niya nakatulong ito sa pag-move on niya. But I doubt that would work on Asher.

"Hey, I said I'm all right. No need to feel bad for me," Asher forced another smile, but I couldn't just let it rest. Gusto ko siyang i-cheer up. Gusto kong makita yung genuine smile niya instead of him pretending that he was okay.

"Asher, pwede mo ba akong tulungan dito?" Lola Olive's voice bounced back from somewhere inside the house.

"Coming lola," Asher yelled back, turning to me. "Be right back."

Tumango ako at nilabas ko ang phone ko para maghanap sa internet. Ways to move on from your ex. Maraming articles ang lumabas kaya pinindot ko yung una sa search results.

"Acceptance is the key," I read, pondering if Asher had actually did that.

"Keep busy with friends." Mukhang yun naman ang ginagawa niya ngayon.

"Get out and do the activities you never got to do while in a relationship." Nakikita ko lang ang mga ito sa movies pero hindi ko lang alam kung effective ba in real life. Pwede naman namin sigurong i-try.

I tapped my fingers on my lap, thinking what activities he might like to do. Hindi ako adventurous, so wala akong idea kung anong mga gusto niyang gawin.

I consulted my friend, the internet again, typing, 'Activities to do with guy friends.' My eyes scanned an article, when Asher's voice detached me from reading it. "What is that?"