Twenty

"I'm okay." She whispered, heavy eyes fluttering closed as she sank back into the bed once again.

She had fallen pretty hard and on her way down, she bumped her head on the edge of the counter. It was a nightmare- panic ensued within mere seconds after she hit the floor. Lindsey and Kash were the ones that got her up, while Elise and Levy tried to rationalize calling an ambulance or just driving her to the hospital themselves... she was going either way - they decided that on their own.

"You fell pretty hard, Stevie." The doctor wasn't her normal one, which didn't set easy with her.

She liked a routine and the unexpected fall was not part of her plan for the day.

"Can you make sure she doesn't have a concussion too?" Lindsey was standing right next to Stevie, one hand on the bed as the other held onto hers. "I think she might have hit it on her way down." He didn't think- he knew.

Nodding, the doctor gave him a warm smile. "She's right, she's going to be okay." She could tell Lindsey was a little worked up, but visibly, she didn't see much of a reason to be. "We're gonna go ahead and check to make sure that the baby is doing alright." She added, motioning for Stevie to left up her blouse.

Creasing a brow, she lightly pushed herself up, wincing from the pain in her back. But once she had her stomach exposed, she slowly laid back down, trying to get as comfortable as possible... It wasn't very easy.

"Okay," the doctor gave them both a warm smile, trying to be as encouraging as she could be. "So is this the first ultrasound?" She asked, setting the Doppler on her lower stomach.

"Mhmm," Stevie was supposed to go later that week to see the baby, since her normal doctor was set on doing ultrasounds very regularly with this baby.

It was pretty high risk to begin with, so slipping and sliding across the hard tile floors wasn't necessarily recommended.

"Well, here is the little sweetie." She used her index finger to show them the baby on the screen.

They both kind of tilted their heads to the side, trying to decipher what they were really looking at....

"It looks kind of like a tiny seahorse." Lindsey mentioned, which made his wife laugh softly.

Taking away the doppler for a moment, the doctor turned up the sound on the monitor, allowing this loud, strong heartbeat immediately fill their ears.

"And the baby sounds like it's doing just fine." She assured happily, hoping that would make them both feel somewhat better.

"Oh goodness." Stevie's eyes were glued on the screen... it was magic.

Of course, she knew that she was pregnant, but at the same time, it had felt so different compared to how it was with her boys.... Those were her babies, this wasn't. It didn't feel the same, not right from the start like she had thought it would. But no matter what, that sound, the sound of a healthy baby had the same affect on her that it did with her three- it made her cry.

"There really is a baby in there." Stevie mumbled, bringing her hand up to her face to wipe away her tears.

"Yes, and the baby looks great." The doctor assured once again. "However, I would like to suggest you start taking it a little easier." She handed her some paper towels before she started putting everything away.

Sinking down, Stevie glanced over at her husband, rolling her eyes because she knew exactly what was going through his mind... He had told her the exact same thing, but she wouldn't listen, so of course, he was thinking about how right he had been.