Chapter 3: Good Bye

A squad of Peackeepers guide me and Ashton to private rooms. You can't cry. I order myself. For them. Your family. A tall Peacekeeper stands by the velvet couch I'm sitting on. My fingers start to stroke the fabric. My family is shoved into the room by another Peacekeeper. This one is a lot shorter than the other.

"5 minutes" His rough voice says.

My whole family comes in. I don't know why I'm surprised, but I am. My mother scoops me up in her arms. No one says a word. My father grabs my hands and gives them a squeeze.I notice May start to cry.

"Don't." I break the silence and reach my arms around her underfed body.

"Be brave for them." I whisper and she nods. I hug her tighter. "I love you."

I open my arms wider and all my siblings join in. "I love all of you."

I really do. That's why I am being shipped off to the Capitol. Because I love them enough I'd die. We stay in each others arms. I break off to embrace my mother one last time.

"I love you, Mom." I say.

She kisses me on the cheek. I will never forget these last moments with the people I love most.

The short Peacekeeper comes in. "Times up."

I release my grip around my Father's arm. I can't speak, or I will break down and cry. They are gone. Forever. I can't help it anymore. I start to cry. I don't think anyone else will come, but an old friend of mine, Star, does. Her sister got reaped and I haven't really talked to her since.

She gives me a hug, "Listen, you gotta stay strong. Get sponsors. Train like you will win. Get allies." Her voice weakens." Do everything my sister didn't do."

I wrap my arms around her again. She wipes my tears. "I will take care of your family, I promise. But only if you promise to me you really will try to win."

I look into her eyes.

"I promise. For you. For my family. For your sister."

She smiles and we hug one last time before the peacekeeper interrupts. He pulls her away.

"I promise!" I yell as loud as I can.

The door shuts. I look at the tall peacekeeper. He holds my stare until Ali comes in to gather me.