♡︎ 13 ♡︎

~FLASHBACK~MIDDLE SCHOOL~8TH GRADE

♥︎San's POV♥︎

I sighed as I stood up from my seat and got my things together. I was usually the last to leave class because of how slow I was. I huffed as I put my heavy backpack on my back and started for the classroom door.

"Uh, San! Could I have a quick word with you?" My teacher called to me, causing me to jump at the sound of my own name. I dreaded things like this. I was used to being called after class but that didn't mean it didn't still make me sick to my stomach. I dragged my feet over to her desk as she pulled out a sheet of paper that I recognized as last week's exam.

She placed the sheet of paper on her desk and turned it to face me before slowly pushing it in my direction. My heart sank.

Another fail...

"No...how can this be? I studied so hard, I did!" I said sadly in disbelief. My teacher placed her hand palm-down in front of me and when I looked at her face, I saw she wasn't angry or disappointed.

"I believe you, San. And you're a smart kid. I just think that something is distracting you, bothering you even. I don't think you can say that it's nothing...because it's been effecting your grades for the passed month. Now..you don't have to tell me anything. But I would advise you to talk to a trusted adult and maybe they can give you some pointers." She said as she leaned back in her seat, clasping her hands together.

"Are you...gonna call my mom again?" I asked with a shaky voice.

"No, sweetie. I won't call mom. You can count on that. But I do want you to try and talk to someone. Now then, I don't wanna make you late for lunch so I'll let you go now." She replied with a soft smile. I just sadly nodded as I dragged myself out of the classroom.

There was a time where I was a straight 'A' student. I never failed a test, I did all my homework, and a bright future was garaunteed for me. But that all ended the year before, in my second year of Middle School.

My best childhood friend, Park Junhee and I were inseperable. We did everything together. Our dreams were the same and we wanted to grow to be successful together. But that was until the very day at school that he told me he had to move away. His dad had gotten a new job and that meant they had to move. Desperate for him to stay, I offered for Junhee to live with me so he could still go to school with me. But he told me that when the time came, he would have to take care of his dad. I had to let him go after that.

For the time being, we kept in touch like we promised before he left. We texted and called each other every single day. It was like he was still there with me. But as time went on, we talked less and less and our conversations shortened. Junhee was always busy or had plans with friends.

Me
Hey Junnie! It's been a few days since we last talked. And I saw on your socials that you went to a carnival with some friends! It looked awesome and I really wish I was there! But...you aren't forgetting about me right?

JunJun🍤
Hey! Yeah I really wish you could've gone :( and sorry for not talking, I needed a break from messaging.

JunJun🍤
And how could I forget you?! You're my best friend! Not a day goes by that I don't think of you 💚

That's what he said. After the move, he was great at telling me what I wanted to hear but not very good at acting on those promises. Junhee had always been a really cool person and an even better friend, so who wouldn't like him? Junhee was becoming really popular at his school and he even got himself a girlfriend. Of course...it was middle school. So how long was that really gonna last?