CHAPTER 66 - IN WHICH ALL PRETENCES AT CIVILITY ARE GONE

Hey guys! I've got a nice chill chapter for your Friday night entertainment! I have added a little thing in my bio (find it by clicking on that juicy Nutella icon) to let you know how close I am to updating at any given time. We'll see if I remember to change it.

LittleLoneWriterGirl has been drawing again. If any of you missed the late addition of Hannah's portrait on the last chapter, make sure to go check that out. Today we've got the church where they hold the packmeets! Does anyone happen to remember who broke that window? :)

 Today we've got the church where they hold the packmeets! Does anyone happen to remember who broke that window? :)

"Still think this is unfair," I muttered.

Liam looked over at me and snorted. "I bet you do."

"He literally said that I didn't have to come!" I exclaimed, throwing my head back against the car seat for dramatic effect. "I got all excited thinking I could just stay home and eat biscuits. But no. You just had to take that away from me."

"Don't be such a wuss, Eva," he said. "You'll love it."

I just glowered at him. "No, I won't. Because this time, there won't even be food, will there? No caterers in the bloody mountains."

The truth was, I'd never have left him to attend the packmeet alone. Not in a million years. And especially not on this occasion. There wasn't going to be food because the Alphas were plotting something. They were holding the packmeet in its historic venue - an abandoned church far, far away from civilisation - for the first time in almost twenty years.

I was worried that it meant trouble. That it meant they were planning something which wasn't paperwork or due diplomatic process or a friendly Q&A. The whole point of holding it in hotels had been the abundance of human witnesses to make sure everyone behaved themselves.

What if they'd found our scents at the campsite, too? What if they were just using the packmeet as an excuse to get us away from our pack - isolated and vulnerable - before they did something about it?

Jace was a long-standing Alpha and respected member of the packmeet. His cousin and half-brother would be sat on either side of him as Alphas in their own right. Liam and I were upstarts, and we had no allies in that room, so I didn't think they'd hesitate to have us arrested if they got the least bit suspicious. And there was a good chance they'd do worse, too. Especially if Jace had been running his mouth about who I was - and I wouldn't put it past him. What if they'd wanted Liam to leave me at home so they could tell him that he was mated to a rogue?

Or was I just paranoid and everything was fine?

"Pull over here," Liam said.

It was good he was paying attention, because I hadn't been, and we would have missed the lay-by altogether. Mal, who was like twenty-seven and in possession of a driving licence, brought the car to a halt in front of the jeep which was already parked up on the grassy verge.