CHAPTER 67 - OH, THE GUILT

Hello everyone! This week we have another piece of artwork!!! And I'm sure Rhodri would be very smug to know that it's of him. It is by BenevolentMyths, who is an author as well as an artist and is currently writing a pretty cool book.

 It is by BenevolentMyths, who is an author as well as an artist and is currently writing a pretty cool book

***

Vincent had one eyebrow cocked while he waited for Liam to do something, the very picture of impatience. All of us were staring down the barrel, not just Hayden, and I didn't want to bet my life on the Lowland Alpha's aim. I reckoned I was sweating through my shirt.

"I'm not going to kill him," Liam said, after what felt like a lifetime. "And neither are you."

Uh oh. Those were words that were likely to get us all killed. I reckoned Liam was just stalling for time, for all the good it would do.

"Oh, I beg to differ," Vincent laughed. "Last chance. I'm beginning to wonder about you, Vaughan. Maybe you have some sympathies for the rogue-lovers."

Liam wasn't spooked by that. It was meant as a provocation, not an accusation. He kept staring at Vincent, steady as anything. "I said I'm not killing him, and I meant it. He knows things, you idiot. Things that could be useful to us. I'm going to take him back to Silver Lake and lock him up somewhere nice and secure, and then him and me can talk. Can't we, Hayden?"

He was so much smarter than I was, and it was a little bit unfair, probably, but I wasn't going to complain right then. Not if it worked. Hayden was wild-eyed and hardly daring to breathe while he waited.

Vincent frowned as he thought it over. I was glad that he was at least contemplating it. But Jaden shook his head vehemently, arms folded across his chest. "No, it would be better to kill him now. Just in case."

"Hang on," Vincent murmured. "Let's think about this. What are the chances you can actually break him?"

"He's just a pup," Liam said dismissively. "I'll have him yapping by the end of the day. And then who knows what we might learn? The location of more camps? What the rogues are planning? And hell ... maybe even the identity of a few more traitors. So with that in mind, does anyone else want to object to me questioning him?"

Dead silence from the other Alphas. I suspected that what had just happened to Jace Lloyd was still very fresh in their minds, given that his corpse was cooling on the floor beside them. It struck me, not for the first time, just how quickly things had gone so horribly, horribly wrong.

"Great," Liam said. "We'll be going, then. That is, if we're done here?"

How was he this calm? Hayden had been about three seconds away from getting his head blown off. Him and me were one wrong step away from sharing Jace's fate. We might still have been armed, but we were outnumbered three to one by Vincent's allies, and all of them seemed to have guns like the cowards that they were.