CHAPTER 49 - HOME SWEET HOME

I'm sorry this took so long. I'd almost finished writing the chapter when Word decided to be a little bitch and delete it all. So this is Version 2. Not quite the same, but perhaps ... better? Idk.

I loved hearing about all your pets last chapter! There seem to be more dog people than cat people on this werewolf book. Can't imagine why. For the next round of quarantine bonding, do you speak another language? If so, that's awesome! Teach us your favourite word. If not, what language would you like to learn?

For the first time in a long time, I went running. I left when the sun was just peeking above the horizon, and I returned when it was above the treeline. It only took a few minutes of jogging to realise I was a little out of shape, so naturally, I ran much further and faster than I usually would, pushing myself to the point of exhaustion and then a little further.

I wouldn't say I was running away from my problems. But since Rhodri was in camp, and Liam was in camp, I wouldn't say I was running towards them, either. I did large, messy circles around the perimeter, dodging the few raiders who'd come out to relieve themselves.

It was probably eight in the morning by the time I turned up at the food tent. I was freshly showered and enjoying the feeling of my muscles burning. And I was ready for a nice, big breakfast to fill the pit in my stomach.

Of course, it couldn't be that easy.

"I can give you an apple," Ellis offered me. We always left someone to guard the food in camp, and it was one of the few jobs that my little brother enjoyed. It was quiet, there was maths involved, and it didn't involve any physical activity. I wasn't surprised in the least to find him here. "And we've got leftover rice, but that's all."

I eyed the meagre pile of food. It wasn't even enough to fill a cardboard box, and I knew the children hadn't eaten yet. "No, that's okay, kiddo. I'll find something else."

He looked from me to the box and back again. "You sure? You didn't have anything yesterday, either."

"I'm sure. Make sure you put something aside for Hannah."

My stomach could growl all it liked - I had gained some weight in Silver Lake, so I would survive for a few days.

"Already have," Ellis assured me. "Nia was supposed to bring food - have you seen her yet?"

I was halfway out the door by then. That name had the power to stop me dead in my tracks and make me turn back to face him. "Nia's coming?"

Ellis picked at his nails, uncomfortable with the attention. "Um, yeah. Didn't you know? I actually think she's already here..."

"She's what?"

I didn't wait for him to answer. I was outside and striding for the med tent before he could even open his mouth. To get there, I had to pass the centre of camp, and that was a strange place at the moment.

The flockie who'd turned sleeper was tied to a tree branch. He was unharmed for the time being, but he couldn't sit down or sleep, and he had Emmett Byer staring at him all hours of the day and night. The old raider was sat there, his head in his hands, so still that I wasn't sure he was breathing.

As usual, Ryker wasn't far away. And there were a few other ashen-faced, shell-shocked men and women behind them. They were the survivors. They had lost their families when Silver Lake had stormed the camp. The flockie had betrayed its location, and sleeper or not, enemy or not, that had not been necessary. It would have been enough to thwart the raid without offering up little kids for the slaughter.

So I didn't feel sorry for him. He could stand there for weeks, as far as I was concerned. Emmett and the others weren't hurting him. All they did was stare. And I doubted it was making them feel any better.