CHAPTER 77 - WHERE IT ENDS

Two chaps left now. Love you all. Enjoy the latest art from LittleLoneWriterGirl. It's Lily and Nia :)

 It's Lily and Nia :)

***

When Liam came back towards me, I jumped up at him until I had got a satisfactory hello. My wolf was so needy around him that even a scratch behind the ears could have her entire body wagging like some overexcited cub.

"Can she do it, do you think?" I asked him through the link. It was always a fight to make the men listen to me at Silver Lake, and I had Liam to scare them. Olivia would not. But then again, she was an Alpha's daughter, and her wolf would be a lot stronger than mine.

"Yes, she can do it," he replied. Unlike me, he could use his mouth. "Mason taught her how to run a pack the same way he taught me."

"Because he liked her?"

He shook his head. "Because he was always planning to mate her to an Alpha. And he wanted her to be able to influence him in our favour. She knows what she's doing. Believe me."

We were walking back towards Vincent. We could have dragged him back to Silver Lake with us, thrown him in a cell, and spent the next month filling out paperwork to have him properly tried and sentenced to death. But there was a much easier, much quicker way.

Liam talked to the westerners first, because their part was done and they'd very much outstayed their welcome. It only took a minute, and when they were done, the big men left Vincent with us and took their leave. They would go home now. All of them. That was the part I didn't really like. The westerners had been at Haven, too. They'd helped murder us in cold blood, and that hadn't been the first time either. And yet they would be walking away unpunished — hell, they were getting paid for what they'd done.

But what was the alternative? Attack them, kill them all, and lose a few dozen of our own men in the process? No. Not worth it. Enough people had died already — that was the entire premise of us being here. We'd taken care not to hurt the Riverside fighters unnecessarily, and we'd done the same here at Lowland, because that was the only way to break the cycle.

"Olivia doesn't have the authority to surrender to you," Vincent told us furiously, the very second the westerners were gone. I took that to mean he'd been eavesdropping through the bond. "They won't listen to her, you know."

"I think they will, actually," Liam said. "I know you were probably hoping to use the surrender to bargain with us. Sorry about that. But as it turns out, I'm willing to bargain anyway."

"Oh? You'll ... what? Promise to kill me quickly if I grovel at your feet?" Vincent snapped.

Liam didn't rise to it. "No. Better than that. I have a friend who'd like the chance to kill you herself. She's only nineteen. A little baby compared to you. And since she's so keen, I'll offer you this. Fight her, and if you win, we'll let you walk. No charges. No punishment."