CHAPTER 73 - QUARTER TO MIDNIGHT

You all know the drill by now. The pretty picture below is by LittleLoneWriterGirl, who's really spoiling us with all her hard work. It's Skye in Lle o Dristwch :)

It wasn't my family who arrived first, in the end

It wasn't my family who arrived first, in the end. The sight of rogues approaching wouldn't have had the occupants of the castle shouting warnings or scrambling to collect their belongings. I was down in the courtyard when it happened, collecting blackberries from the brambles which had taken root under the eaves.

I grabbed the elbow of one of the women and demanded, "What is it?"

"There are flockies coming," she told me. "So if you're smart, you'll run, pup. They hang us from the battlements if they catch us here."

I ignored that advice. Half of the packs were allied with us now, so the chances of these 'flockies' being friendly were actually quite high. Instead of gathering my things and legging it, I went towards the entrance and stood there with my arms folded across my chest, gazing out at the meadow. A car had pulled up on the grass.

The panic behind me had died down a little. They had noticed me standing there calmly and taken their lead from me. Just because I was a Llewellyn. It was an odd feeling — not one I'd encountered before. No one had ever looked to me to set an example before because there had always been a bigger, more competent member of my family standing not very far away from me.

There were only two of them. A tall, well-built man with dark hair that was turning to grey. He leant against the bonnet, arms folded across his chest, staring at me in a way that made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. The woman beside him was looking around — drinking in the trees and the castle.

Liam came to stand beside me. A frown crossed his lips as he took in the two trespassers. The car they'd arrived in was a shiny grey BMW which looked atrociously expensive.

"What are they doing?" I demanded. "Why would they come here alone? Flockies ain't usually this ballsy. Something's off."

Liam just shook his head. He looked as clueless as I was. But soon enough, he turned and met my eyes. "Only one way to find out what. Two of them. Two of us?"

"Two of us and a nice, sharp knife," I corrected him. It was in my pocket. And I closed my fingers around the hilt just to reassure myself as I started walking towards the strangers. They didn't move an inch, but I could have sworn that there was a little smirk on the guy's face as we drew closer.

When we were about twenty paces away, I felt it for the first time. It was like a tidal wave slamming into my mind. The man's wolf was strong. And he was not making any effort to reign it back. I could also catch his scent at long last. They were from Shadowless Pack.

"Eva..." Liam said, quiet but sharp. It was a warning. He'd felt it too, then.

"I know," I told him. "Believe me, I know."