CHAPTER 53 - NO ONE'S HERE TO SLEEP

I'm currently in the middle of nowhere, but here's your update! It's really chill for once. I figure our characters deserve a break from all the heartache :) Hope you're all enjoying the summer and staying safe!!

"The Hibiscrub goes on the swab, Eva. Not on the floor," Seth said

"Sorry," I mumbled. I was trying to do my job and keep an eye on Liam at the same time, and it wasn't going very well. I ducked my head, pretending to focus on the pink disinfectant until Seth looked away again.

And then I went right back to staring across the lawn. This morning, Mason had put Liam in charge of the cadets. Their ages ranged from fourteen to sixteen, and they were undoubtedly the underdogs of the male hierarchy at Silver Lake. The grown-up fighters had very little patience with them and spent a lot more time mocking them than training them. They were usually made to sweep the courtyard or sent running on pointless errands.

So it was understandable that they had all attached themselves to Liam like limpets to a rock. They followed him around, hanging on every word and jostling for his attention, because he was actually willing to teach them something. He had asked one of the boys to shift, and he was in the process of showing them the best places to bite for a quick, clean kill. I had never seen teenage boys so entranced in my life.

I wasn't the only one watching. Mason was some distance away, but it was hard to mistake the direction of his gaze. This was clearly some kind of experiment on his part. I was willing to bet he wasn't disappointed. Liam wasn't the kind of person who sought out authority, but he was quietly and relentlessly competent when it was handed to him.

"Can you draw up twelve mils of Lidocaine?" Seth asked.

"Huh?" I said, because I hadn't been listening.

Twelve mils. Lidocaine," he repeated. He was being unusually short with me today. "And wake up, please."

"Sorry," I mumbled. I got the syringe ready and flicked the air bubbles out. Seth was anticipating the demand - he could see a fighter limping across the grass, supported by two of his friends.

Seth kept squinting at them as they drew closer. Once he'd got a better look at the sheer volume of blood drenching his leg, he added, "And find me some Amoxiclav."

I did that, too, sneaking glances at Liam every so often. He'd been out there for a long time, and it wouldn't be long before the lunch bell rang and he came to find me. I had something I needed to ask him.

"Have you made a decision yet?" I asked Seth in an undertone.

He looked up at me warily. "About what?"

"About the impending regime change."

"We shouldn't be talking about this here, Eva," he said without force.

I just raised my eyebrows and waited expectantly. There was no one within twenty metres of us. He was just trying to avoid the question.

It didn't take long for him to relent, with no small amount of nervous looks over his shoulder and heavy sighs. "Charlie's not sure - and he doesn't even know you're rogues. My grandfather is also far from convinced. We don't know either of you well enough to-"

"It doesn't really matter if you know us," I said. "You know them. We can't possibly be worse."

"Our last Alpha was worse," Seth said.

I acknowledged that with a shrug. The injured fighter was almost within earshot, so I reckoned it was a good idea to shut up. Seth had him sit on the grass while he flushed the wound and fussed over suture materials. I didn't have to do anything except hand the patient a cartoon of orange juice and smile like I was happy to be there.