CHAPTER 74 - A LONG TIME COMING

So we're all being spoilt today. TWO drawings?! Kindly bow down before your Official Illustrator, LittleLoneWriterGirl (who is also illustrating her own book now, if you're interested). First is baby Eva, and second is baby Liam. This will make more sense when you read the chapter, I swear.

 This will make more sense when you read the chapter, I swear

Trigger warnings: scenes involving physical abuse against a child + refusing food

***

I knew I was going to start crying if I stayed there — something that would have been damning in itself. So I slipped out of the bed, and I made my way towards the door, stopping only to grab a jacket along the way. I knew better than to look back, but I did it anyway, and I found Liam's eyes fixed on mine. Upset. But not very surprised. It wasn't the first time I'd run out on him.

"I'm going to get some air. I'll see you at four, yeah?"

Liam rubbed at his jaw. He looked like he wanted to say something more, but all that came out was a quiet, unhappy, "Okay."

I hadn't known where I was going when I'd left our room, so I had simply wandered around the pack house for a bit. I didn't really remember making a decision on where to go, but an hour later, I was sat on the floor in a quiet corner of the pack's medical wing. Seth had said I could stay as long as I liked. He knew something wasn't right, but he hadn't pushed me about it.

What a way to spend my eighteenth birthday.

I'd found a leaf on the floor. It was an alder leaf, which was why I'd picked it up. It must have come off someone's clothing. Now I was turning it around in my hands, folding along the veins, and generally doing my best not to cave to my instincts and tear it into little pieces, just for the sake of it.

I'd been stupid to keep hoping, all these years. Even when I'd been younger, I'd always known the chances were slim. The Goddess didn't take into account whether you had a massive crush on anyone when she decided who was mated to whom. But there was a part of me which had always argued that I might like him so much because he was my mate. It wasn't unheard of for people to be drawn to their mates.