30. Monkey Business

Rose Quirivane slowly moved a slice of meat up to her mouth while she flitted her eyes about the room, monitoring all the movements and people who moved inside the dining hall's crimson walls. She was quite used to eating without looking at her food – in fact, it was the norm for her. One of her default traits was that of vigilance, and she felt most comfortable when exercising the utmost caution. Whether it was due to her unusual upbringing or simply due to her own innate personality Rose didn't know. But she accepted herself, and the ones she had chosen to spend the rest of her life with had accepted her as well – for the most part, at least.

Next to Rose sat Bruce Wernhart, who had just sunk his teeth into his hamburger, still talking through the chomps. Saffron sat across from him, nodding with a smirk, although it was unclear as to whether he was actually listening. As with anything else, Rose remained quiet, monitoring the two just as she monitored the other strangers in the room. She kept her hand gently on Bruce's shoulder, both comforting him and reminding him that his lover was there, while also keeping her grip firm as a reminder that he was to stay under control. Just like so many times before, she let herself flow, just like water: still and tranquil, while ever remaining an unstoppable force. Rose had shimmering long blonde hair, flawless skin, a well-trained figure, and a propensity for violence – just about everything Bruce had ever wanted in a woman, or so he had once told her.

Rose was the first to notice two figures slipped in through golden double doors in the back: Mephistoclessia, followed closely by Averyl. She was followed closely by Roufas Ernst, the fourth member at the table, who sat next to Saffron on the other side. He had ordered a fish fillet just like Saffron, but had barely touched it. Roufas, always the grand mediator – if there was ever a dispute, he would be there, keeping the peace. Rose had learned much from him. In fact, if he and Rose hadn't been present right now, Bruce might've leapt up from his seat and attacked Averyl the moment he stepped through the door.

Mephistoclessia rushed over to where the four sat. "This guy," she rasped, pointing back to him, "just completely ruined my operation. He assisted the Knights and robbed me of my new acquisitions!"

"We'll talk about that later." Roufas waved her away. "I've got a few things to say about your little 'operation,' but that's a different topic entirely."

"What?" She slammed her gloved fists down on the table. "What did you say? I have done nothing wrong! I told you I was going to head straight to the Kantor District to suppress the situation."

"You didn't tell us shit," Bruce grunted. "Besides, who the hell cares what goes on in that dump? You're just making crap up now."

"I am not!" Mephistoclessia curled her arms around her tiny waist. "I left a psynergy note in Pandemonium, explaining..." Suddenly, the Rat fell silent, as if a realization had struck her, and she slowly turned to face Averyl. Everyone quickly followed suit.

"Ooh..." Averyl sauntered up to the table. "I didn't know everyone was going to be so happy to see me."

"Sit your bony ass down and shut up," Bruce growled, then turned back to Mephistoclessia. "A note. You left us a note. What do you think we are, a fuckin' after-school detective club? You can't be off collecting more toys for yourself whenever you feel like it."

Letting out a frustrated grunt, Mephistoclessia turned sharply away from the group and headed to the bar. Winslow sat there alone, sucking on a chocolate milkshake with a lonely look on his face.

"What's up?" Winslow made a timid wave over to Mephistoclessia as she joined him.

The Rat did not acknowledge his presence.