36. Transmogrification

At the foot of the mountain, Averyl set up a fire along with several jugs of water and bundles of bread, vegetables and fruit.

"Where did you get all this stuff?" Vance asked. "It's like you keep pulling things out of thin air."

Averyl faced Vance with a prideful smirk. "I took a quick trip to another dimension, Vance. Is there anything else you need?"

Vance thought for a moment. "I could use some new clothes."

"A wise idea." Averyl smiled, then placed his hands on his chest and pulled outward. As if he was splitting his clothing apart, another identical black cloak phased out from his own, following his fingers. He moved his hands from the neck of the cloak and returned them to his chest, pulling again and again until the brand new cloak slipped all the way out, glowing with a thin layer of purple psynergy.

"That came out from your body?"

"It's a little trick I thought up. My own special trick," Averyl said. "Ever since I was a child, I enjoyed using psynergy to create. I wasn't content with simply destroying, or manipulating. I wanted to make something entirely new for myself. At first, I could only make shallow imitations, but after much practice, I became skillful at materializing things purely from my own psynergy. There are some things I still can't make, though...no matter how hard I try. Like a new Victoria..."

Vance grimaced. "So you're controlling that cloak?"

"Not controlling...I merely produced it using my mind. It takes a certain amount of psynergy for me construct an object, depending on its density and composition..." Averyl replied, " And once it's removed completely from my body, that psynergy is forever lost. The object will remain, though...indistinguishable from the real thing."

Vance's eyes moved from the cloak to his uncle. Averyl had perfected his own style of psynergy, and could now procure whatever he desired – he wasn't just strong, he was a genius. Just like Captain Azuka, Averyl had developed a unique power that no one else possessed.

Averyl tossed the black cloak to Vance. He put it on, letting the warm material envelop his skin. The two men now looked more alike than ever.

"It's made from psynergy," Averyl explained, "so it will resist other psynergy, just like mine."

"Thanks," Vance said, smiling up at Averyl. "Can I have something to eat now?"

"Help yourself..." Averyl gestured to the food.

Vance did as he was told and gorged himself. Averyl stood to the side, filing his long fingernails with a thin silver blade.

"So," Vance spoke up once he was full and tired, "what are my chances of becoming stronger, Averyl? I mean, how long did it take you to get where you are? Will I be able to match up to anyone at the tournament?"

"It took me quite a while," Averyl said. "But I was on my own for a big chunk of it. Guidance is a key factor in education of any kind. You and I, Vance...we shall accomplish great things together."

Vance's monochrome eyes were locked with Averyl's. "I want to develop a special power, just like you."

"You will...and you must," Averyl said. "If you wish to stand a chance in the tournament, that is. All the fighters there will be top-notch, each of them with their own tricks and specialties."

"Great." Vance stood up, revving his neon purple psynergy.

"Shall we begin?" Averyl asked.

"Of course." Vance's voice had a competitive edge. "What are we going to do?"