6. A Razorlike Blue

Relief washed over Eden's face when she saw that breakfast in Elysiana consisted of things like pancakes, fruit, and cereal.

"Well, what did you expect?" Cliff laughed, noticing her delighted eyes. "Some sort of futuristic nutrient goop?"

"Well, this place seems so high-tech..." Eden shrugged shyly. "Now I feel really hungry all of a sudden."

"Relax, then, and eat up while you can," Cliff said with a smirk. "We only have goop for lunch!"

Eden gave Cliff a playful kick in the legs, and the two of them filled their plates with food from the cafeteria counter. Even though so much still seemed to hang in the balance, she seemed eager to lighten the mood in any way possible, and Cliff felt the same way. If there was an opening for any kind of humor, be it a light-hearted comment or an awkward joke, he'd take it. It helped to fortify the comforting feeling that everything would somehow be okay in the end.

Once their meals were ready, they walked across the spacious dining area and sat down at a rounded table with the Seneschal. At other tables sat other members of the Guild in shimmering blue uniforms, eating and talking with each other regardless of rank or station.

"So, how did you sleep?" Cliff asked.

"Surprisingly well," Eden replied. "That bed was comfy. The Seneschal helped me get used to the facilities, too. You know, this place isn't as bad as it first seemed."

"That's good to hear." He adjusted his hat, then glanced at Eden's new clothes. "He sure gave you the royal treatment. How'd you get a custom tunic made so quickly?"

"Oh, I have my ways," the Seneschal replied with a sage smile. "I didn't see her carrying any luggage, so I figured it was the least I could do."

"Please don't remind me..." Eden moaned, shoving her fork into a piece of cantaloupe. "Are you sure we can't go back to Earth and pick up some of my stuff? Maybe just a few pairs of shoes?"

At that, Cliff let out a loud guffaw, laughing far more than he needed to. "Or, you know, I could just recommend some good shops to you here."

Eden raised her eyebrows. "Says the guy in the cowboy hat."

This time, the Seneschal joined in the laughter, and for a few moments, it really did seem like everything was going to be okay.

After breakfast, Eden accepted Cliff's offer to take her shopping, and the two of them headed toward the elevator down to Ieon, the city that existed below the towering guild headquarters.

They stepped onto a circular fuschia platform situated within a transparent blue tube, which began to whirr and move. Eden's legs flinched, and Cliff instinctively placed a sturdy hand on her shoulder, preventing her from wobbling as the elevator shot down through the tube. She shot him a quick glance, and he smiled back awkwardly.

I never thought I'd get another chance to protect someone like this... The thought stabbed Cliff like a knife, twisting, wrenching out the guilt that filled his heart. I don't deserve it...but serving someone, protecting those who need it...that's all I can do. I'll never make up for what I did...but I might be able to save someone else from befalling the same fate. If only I had some way of letting her know how much this means to me...

Cliff stared at Eden, already thinking about the future, and she stared back, unsure of what would come next.

Soon, the elevator platform sunk into the ground floor, and Cliff and Eden stepped out into a curved hallway. At the end was yet another brain scan machine.

"The Seneschal's added you to the system," Cliff said. "So you'll be able to access all the facilities around the city whenever you like. Some of it requires psynergy to activate...but we'll get to that later."